Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Disabled Parking Privileges in OH, IN, IL, PA, and NY

Mar 14th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

In searching the forums for information on parking privileges for disabled people in the United States I only seem to be able to find prior posts I've made with regard to Europe and to one I made for NC. Searching the various state DMV websites it is easy to find out how to get a disabled placard but very hard to find out what privileges apply to those who have one. Mine is issued by CA and is valid in all of the United States but privileges vary widely.

Perhaps if I share with you what my CA placard brings me you'll be able to tell me what I can expect to receive in the states named above. Here I may park without restriction and without paying at any metered spot regardless of the time limit. That's the big one as I'm not concerned with having anyone pump my gas as I always travel with my wife in case an individual station is unable or unwilling to help me.

The biggest difference I find in various states is that, for example, I might have to put money in the meter but time limits are doubled.

Can anyone please give me either direct feedback or, at the very least, point me to a website where such information may be obtained? I'm a AAA member and one would think they would be a source of such information. They are not.

Many thanks,
BigBlue
Mar 14th, 2016, 01:52 PM

I am an RN working in MA with people with permanent disabilities - and could give you the complete run-down on MA regs, but it is not on your list.

However, I just Googled "PA Disabled Parking" - and it sent me to an obscure part of the DMV pages indicating what parking privileges one gets in PA. Did the same for NY. So as much as it is a pain, I would suggest trying that rather than starting on the RMV/DMV page and hunting around. In PA, for example, it says you get 1 hour over the meter time.

For future reference - in MA you can park in any legal spot for as long as you want. You can not be towed except from a fire lane, crosswalk, snow emergency or other public safety interference. And many private garages will also offer free or lower cost parking.
Mar 14th, 2016, 02:03 PM

Does your wife know what you just typed?
Mar 14th, 2016, 04:58 PM

I know in Philadelphia you still have to feed the meter with a handicapped access.
Mar 15th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Where I live, this is a local issue, local jurisdictions can set their own standards, same as for other parking meter rules.

I don't understand why you have to know this, anymore than I would have to know everywhere I went on a trip in the US if I'd need to pay parking meter fees at 8 pm or on certain days of the week. You'll find out when you need one, and I presume if you have to pay, you don't have any choice. It wouldn't change your itinerary, would it?

Besides, tourists aren't usually in highly dense urban areas where there are meters that much, I would hope.

I'm from OHio and travel there a lot, in general, cars can't park free at meters just because they have such a sticker/plate.
Mar 17th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

For Inka, few people are fortunate enough to have a wife like mine who gets furious with me when I try to lift a suitcase or something beyond the recommended limits by my doctors. I keep myself going just to be able to take her places and she insists on doing whatever it takes to help me keep going. At 80 that allows us both to continue to enjoy our lives together.

For Christina, one of the reasons one needs to know what parking regulations are is to assure that one has the necessary coinage to handle them. Another is to be able to park somewhere with the assurance that one will not be faced with a hefty fine upon one's return. It's called planning for anxiety-free travel.

Tourists visiting major attractions (state houses, historic railroad stations, museums, etc) in high density urban areas are always faced with parking meters.

"Just because they have such a sticker/plate..." sounds a little like you disapprove of the disabled being given some consideration. Sure glad I live in California.
Mar 17th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Gail, thanks very much.

BigBlue
Mar 17th, 2016, 09:43 AM

I'm sure you're aware of this, BigBlue, but a lot of jurisdictions use an app, like ParkMobile, for meter payments, making coins unnecessary.

(Wouldn't it be nice if the app could give you information on handicapped parking rules, too? Have you tried to see if there is, in fact, an app for that?)
Mar 17th, 2016, 11:31 AM

My rule: If there is a parking meter, pay it and don't stay any longer than what you paid for. A Handicap placard does not give you right to park anywhere except for the designated blue marked spots which usually have a blue sign in front of them.
The placards have a warning on them not to drive with them hanging from the mirror. I see many cars being driven with the placards hanging. My dad had one issued by Florida that I used only when driving him and never when I was by myself.
You can get a temporary placard for a short term handicap like a broken leg in a cast.
Mar 17th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

tomfuller, in California a disabled placard gives you the right to park in any legally metered spot without payment. In other states in the west (and other places we've been in the US) similar state laws exist. Your assertion that the placard does not give you the right to park anywhere except for the designated blue marked spots may apply where you live but it definitely does not apply where I do.

Just out of curiosity I went to the Florida DHSMV website (http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/faqdpp.html#2) and found the following under their FAQs:

"Will everyone with a disabled parking permit be able to park for free at meters?

Anyone with a disabled parking permit who parks on the street at a turnstile meter will continue to park for free. However, there are new time restrictions; 4 hours maximum. The law also allows local municipalities to exceed the 4 hours maximum by local ordinance."

Unfortunately for those of us who need such information few states seem to make it readily accessible. I have written to AAA today to ask them once again to consider including such guidance in their tour books but have not been successful in the past with such requests.

For those of you who feel that I should simply carry money around with me for parking meters whether I need to pay for them or not, please consider that numbers of places charge fairly high rates for metered parking. Why would I wish to waste my fixed income on paying for parking meters when I am not legally required to?

Also, please note that, contrary to an inaccurate post above, most laws on the books for parking for the disabled are set at the state level, not at the local jurisdiction.

Here's a suggestion for anyone kind enough to provide meaningful and accurate responses to this post: would you please assure yourself of the correctness of your response so as to avoid misleading people who might be inclined to rely on such information? For example, a really useful thing would be to post from the appropriate website as I have done with the example from Florida.

Thanks,
BigBlue
Mar 17th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

NewBE, thanks for your response. As you can see I'm just trying to learn what the rules are. I've researched numerous websites and have found that even those which specialize in giving advice to disabled there is no central collection of state regs. And, alas, my check at the Apple Apps Store shows no apps for this purpose.
Mar 18th, 2016, 10:01 AM

That's too bad, BigBlue. Good luck to you in your research, and if you find anything useful, you might post it here so that people Googling could benefit from your work
Jun 7th, 2016, 07:44 AM

Parking is regulated by localities , not states... There are basic national rules, but after that, each city or town has separate rules... The only way to guarantee parking is to post your permit, pay for the parking, and honor the time limit... Otherwise , you can spend hours looking up each town website for their rules...
Jun 7th, 2016, 04:31 PM

In NY you get to park in handicap spots. Period. All other rules and fees apply to you.
Jun 8th, 2016, 07:01 AM

In Wisconsin, I can park at meters for free as well as in designated handicapped spots.