Reload this Page >

Park City Utah - Two Skiers, One Walker

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Peggy

Our daughter heads off to college in a year and my husband and I have been threatened with a lawsuit for poor parenting if we don't take this kid skiing for the first time in her life before she leaves. We have heard wonderful things about Park City. I want to be walking distance from a village where I can go on my own and my husband and daughter will want to take some private skiing lessons and be able to walk to the lifts. Could anyone recommend a resort/hotel that will suit us all? This is a special trip so we are willing to splurge a little more than usual. We hope to go at Christmas. Thanks in advance, Peg

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Mina

Hi Peggy!

Park City is wonderful! I know there are some locals who post here (Dayle comes to mind) who can give you a local's perspective, but I will give you a tourist's perspective from a skier who's skied there every year since 1990. Hopefully, with some input from multiple people you can find a good place.

First of all, Park City is very small. There is free bus service that runs around town, which will make it very easy to explore. Based on your recommendations, I would suggest staying near Main Street, or perhaps the base of Park City Mountain Resort.

If you stay near Main Street, you will have many fine restaurants and some fun shopping (and a day spa!) on your doorstep. The Ski Resort isn't walking distance, but the "town lift" is. The town lift is at the bottom of main street and will take them right up to the mountain. There are quite a few hotels that come to mind on Main Street (I've never stayed on Main Street myself...too pricey...I stay in the more affordable prospector square). There is a newer Marriott resort that's at the bottom of main street. The town lift is right across from there.

The other option is to stay at the base of Park City Mountain Resort. There's a little shopping and some restaurants there. Your hubby and daughter could walk right to the mountain. The free buses all hit the PCMR, so you could jump a free bus to anywhere! There are many resorts at the base of the mountain. Shadow Ridge and Silver King come to mind. (Silver King isn't right in the "main" base, but it's close). Check David Holland Properties (I'll try to dig up the website for you if you can't find it). They do property management for many of the PCMR resorts. Or, you can call the resort directly.

Have a lovely time...I can't go in 2003 for the first time in 13 years, and I'm heartbroken. I have decided to go to Europe for two months instead! Ah, sacrifices....

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Dayle

Hi Peggy,

Mina gave you excellent advice & echos my recommendations for lodging. I wouldn't recommend staying at The Canyons because it is a few miles from the actual historic town of Park City where all the action is. The Canyons has built its own "village" base area, but you will be finished with it in less than a 1/2 hour. Bus service to/from The Canyons to other points is less frequent & ends too early in the evening (9pm). You could always take a taxi back, but not convenient during Christmas week!

Make you reservations immediately for Christmas. There are many condos that are in good locations too.

Check out www.parkcityinfo.com

Be sure to visit the Utah Olympic Park. It's fabulous!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Peggy

Thank you for the replies! One last question.....how does the Sundance Resort fit into the scheme of things. It is out of town, I know, but it looks just great on their web page. Have either of you been there?
Thanks again, Peg

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Dayle

Hi Peggy,

Sundance is a 1 hour drive from Park City or SLC. I learned to ski there. It is one of the most beautiful places in Utah, maybe even the world. Redford ain't no dummy.

Even so, it would be OK for a day trip for you, but not to stay. Unless you want to read a big, fat novel while your hubby & daughter take their lessons. It's a very small place. No village. No nightlife, 1 small shop, 3 fabulous restaurants. Reservations required in advance especially during Christmas. It's really kind of a retreat- with skiing. All first class.

The skiing is beginner/intermediate & a great place to learn. Some advanced skiing higher up on the mountain. Scenery is unforgettable!

If you're into movie stars, good chance of seeing a few during Christmas, but look closely. It's a very low profile kind of place.

Write again if you have more questions.

Happy trails....

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:02 AM
deb

Dayle, do you know anything about the children's ski program in Park City? Is there a good program for a 4-year-old?

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 12:52 PM
lucky

Back late from lunch and just knew that Dayle will be out in front of me on this one. To the original poster, always take Dayles advise regarding the Park City and Utah area.She is always right on. Not sure we hang out in the same places in Park City. However, she is usually always correct (Most of the time). First, there are only 2 restaurants that I know of at Sundance. The Tree Room and the Grille. Both are exceptional. Perhaps she is including the Owl Bar as #3.
The town lift is right in the center of the convenient walking distance to lifts, skiing and old downtown.
The Marriott Summit is right there. As is the newly remodeled ( or so I am told remodeled) " Silver Queen Hotel" which is at the main corner of the main intersection in ole Park City.If you are going for Christmas, make your reservations now...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 03:04 PM
bb

ok dayle, you must be a slow driver if it takes you an hour to get to sundance, i live in heber. from pc sundance is 40 minutes. it is beautiful there and i recommend going for a day. there isn't a ton of skiing as it is small but the ambience is not to be missed. about skiing in pc, you can stay just about anywhere and easily get to the mountain and to shopping as there is the free shuttle. i have been to the marriot mountainside and it is spectacular and is mountainside.