Park City skiing early December?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:13 PM
Lin

Park City skiing early December?

Just wondering what the conditions and weather is like the first two weeks of December at the different resorts around Park City, is this too early for decent skiing? We found some great prices on airfare and lodging and were hoping we could get some early season skiing in. We're from Maryland so the conditions have gotta be better than anything we're used to here!

Thanks

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:38 PM
Dayle

Hi Lin!

I live in Park City & have been skiing Utah for 30 years, so that's my qualification.

Skiing in a normal year gets good right around Christmas. Also peak price time as you know.

All 3 ski resorts around Park City have extensive snowmaking, so whether it's natural or man-made, you're right it will be better than MD.

Deer Valley however usually doesn't even open until the second week in December. They are also the first to close in the spring. They only want their guests to experience the "best" of conditions.

Prices prior to Christmas are usually a great deal & there are very light crowds.

Also very good is April! Warm sunny days, usually great snow, even powder, and zero crowds. Again, super prices on everything!

Have fun...

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 04:32 AM
lin

Thanks for the info Dayle, looks like we're going to take a chance a book it for early December and if we can't ski I'm sure we can find other things to do. Will they still have the ski jumping and bobsled\luge areas from the Olympics open, like Lake Placid does? How cold does it typically get in December?
Thanks again!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Barbara

Check out the other ski resorts - Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, Solitude - all of them try to be open by Thanksgiving weekend and generally get more snow than Park City. Alot of people stay in Park City and ski the other resorts as well. Have fun.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Dayle

Hi again Lin!

Barbara is right, the higher areas are always open by Thanksgiving & the skiing is usually pretty good. Maybe a few rocks, but if you rent your equipment, who cares?

Utah Olypmic Park will be open & you can sign up to ride the real bobsleighs if you get in early enough - months ahead. It costs about $175 for a 1 minute ride, but it's a minute you'll never forget! The Alf Engen Ski Museum is now open too. Very impressive & interesting facility. Don't know if you will catch the Nordic & Aerialist teams practicing or not. By December they're off on the competition circuit.

December & January are our coldest months. Your ski days could be in the teens at worst, but we have such low humidity it won't seem that cold. It will probably seem much more comfortable than skiing in the northeast.

Powder to the people...

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Barbara

I too am starting to think about a Christmas time ski trip to Park City. Never been there. Preferably would like a 2-br condo that's ski in or out or relatively close to the lift anyway. I just went on the parkcityinfo site mentioned here -- does anyone have any recommendations for lodging, so I am not flying blind. Is the Park City Condominium Hotel (listed on that site) nice? Any suggestons would be very much appreciated.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Dayle

Hi Barbara,

For the base of Park City Mtn Resort (the original ski area):

Snowflower Condos
Silver King Hotel, not ski in/out but very close
Shadow Ridge Condos, very close
Marriott Mountainside (one of those vacation club condo things, very nice & ski in/out)

At the Canyons, the Grand Summit (again a condo/hotel), but I wouldn't recommend staying there because the Canyons is not convenient to Historic Main Street. It's about 4 miles away.

At Deer Valley, several very posh inns & lodges plus condos. the Goldener Hirsch, Stein Ericson's, the Stag Lodge, The Chateau. Very pricey & again not convenient to Main Street. Very quiet night life, if any. BUT, some of the best ($$$$$) restaurants.

Have fun!