Park City: No car and a kid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2020, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at taking a short trip to Park City with my seven year old in February or March. We don't ski. I'm thinking of staying close to Main Street so we can walk around downtown. The other activities we would like to do are dog sledding and tubing. It looks like there are several places in town where we can tube.

Will we be able to take the shuttle or Uber to these activities? I'd really love to avoid renting a car.

Any other advice for first-time, non-skiers?

Thanks!
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

While I'm at it, what areas are most walkable? I assume Main Street/the Historic District? What about Park Ave. around Homestake Rd. and Iron Horse Dr.?
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 09:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We were in Park City for Christmas week, and stayed in the 600 block of Park Avenue. It is one block off the historic Main Street. Sorry, I don't know where is Homestake Rd or Iron Horse Drive.
It's a great place to skip having a car, as downtown is so walkable. Also, there are good family-priced restaurants there, as opposed to other mountain resorts like Vail or Aspen, which tend to cater to fine dining.
One place we like is High West Saloon. Great burgers and brussel sprouts app.
We also had decent pizza at Main Street Pizza and Noodle, but I don't recommend that place. The service was awful. Pizza was delivered, but the calzones our friends ordered did not show up until we had finished our meal.
Worse, they put an 'ice water' pitcher on our table. When I poured out a glass of it, it looked like it had some color to it. I tasted it, and it had a sweetness, like super-diluted tea or soda. Blech! Did I just drink out of someone else's unwashed pitcher? We told the waitstaff, and they replaced it with a faint apology. At least we all didn't drink it. Only me, and I didn't get sick.
We noticed the free trolleys, but didn't research them or need them.
Have fun! Park City is cool.

Last edited by MoBro; Jan 1st, 2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 11:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are FREE buses in Park City. See allparkcity.com for details. There are shuttle services from SLC airport and some downtown locations to Park City Plan to spend about $70 per person each way.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 01:34 PM

You can easily take the bus all over Park City. If you are near Main Street, you can walk to quite a bit. There are less expensive, more kid friendly, dining options at the Redstone area--near I-80. You can take the bus there. They just built a new winter sports center with tubing etc. I assume the bus will go there as well. High West is now adults only, unfortunately. For dog sledding--look up various places that offer that activity. Some places will pick you up at a hotel. There are plenty of Uber drivers in Park City!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 05:56 AM

I did not realize High West has a 21+ age requirement. Thanks for the heads up.
We hired a car to drive us to/from SLC airport. Mostly because one flight arrived at midnight.
We used Park City Transportation https://myshuttleparkcityutah.com/rates
About $90 for two people, plus tip. Reliable drivers, large vehicles for carrying skis and ski equipment. (Which I realize you don’t need.)
Our daughter just uses Uber when she comes and goes.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Turns out I was not able to get a hotel near downtown. We will be up by Kimball Junction. So, looking forward to that bus!
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tom and Stanton!
Some of y'all raised another point... can I bring my kid to a place that serves alcohol? For instance, a brewery that serves food? Are there any laws I need to keep in mind? (The breweries where I live are often kid friendly.)

Last edited by Whycats; Jan 3rd, 2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 09:55 AM

You're welcome.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 04:18 PM

The only place you can't bring kids are bars. Breweries are fine. And--staying at Kimball Junction is nice. There is the Redstone development there that has a lot of restaurants that are much more kid friendly and less expensive than downtown. There is also a great bowling alley that has good food and drinks--Jupiter Bowl. Check out the Nature Center that is there--fun exhibits. There is a really nice Whole Foods that serves meals and wine/beer. Check out the restaurant--Trio-good food at good prices. The bus is really easy and free. But you can always Uber if you want to do that.