Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Parents having a ball - Clearwater is next. Need help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 12:14 PM
Beverly

My parents who are 70s and great health are having a ball in Orlando. Disney identified attractions that were good for visitors over 60. This weekend, they are driving to Clearwater next and will be staying for a week. I have heard they should definitely eat at Frenchy's. Are there any other recommendations for restaurants, brunch, lunch, dinner? What sights/things to do are in and around Clearwater for them to visit? Is Tampa good to visit? They will have a car for the week. Thanks for everyone's help. Their vacation is turning out better than they'd ever thought - sort of a second honeymoon.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 02:06 PM
susan

Clearwater or Clearwater Beach? If they'll be in Clearwater Beach I can highly recommend Bob Heilman's Beachcomber restaurant. And the Radisson Sand Key is a nice place to stay...so is the Clearwater Beach Hotel.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:08 AM
Beverly

Sorry, I meant in Clearwater on the beach. I guess that means Clearwater Beach unless there is another one. It's in the Tampa coastal area. Thanks, Susan, for your recommendation. Are there good day trips they can drive to from there for interesting things to do or see? This part of their vacation will be more relaxed than Orlando.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 07:52 AM
susan

I'll bet they'd enjoy a visit to Ybor City in Tampa to eat at the Columbia Restaurant! It's been a fixture since 1905 and has flamenco dancing! Also in Tampa - if money is no object - is Bern's Steak House. The owner-chef ages his own beef, grows his own organic veggies, roasts his own coffee and maintains his own saltwater fish tanks....you get the picture! If your parents like music, (and will be in the area on a Sunday ) there's a wonderful place called The Pub a few miles south of Sand Key (which adjoins Clearwater Beach). My husband and I went there a few years ago on the advice of an online post and loved it! Sunday afternoons bring retired professional musicians and amateurs together for a free-for-all jam session. Anyone who wants to participate may and it's great fun!

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Beverly

Thanks, again, Susan. Those recommendations sounded just right for a fun night out. My parents will be calling them for reservations.

Bringing this back to the top in in case there are others with ideas for the rest of the week.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Marion

The Beach House Cafe -- 333 South Gulf View Blvd. on Clearwater Beach -- great breakfast pastries. We went for breakfast & than again for lunch one day. Chef/owner.

found Tampa traffic very heavy -- suggest drive up 19A to Tarpon Springs. Hellas Restaurant & Bakery -- very good.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 07:34 AM
lisa

Hi - my in-laws live in Florida for the winter which has prompted many a vacation in that area and to Disney World. In Clearwater (not Clearwater Beach),but just over causeway-- our favorite restaurant anywhere can be found - the name of it is Tio Pepe on Gulf-to-Bay. The food is marvelous Spanish cuisine. It's always busy and noisy but that's part of the charm. Make sure to try the authentic sangria! Also high on our list is the original Hooter's - - also found on Gulf-to-Bay- - to see where it all began. Sure, the gals are dressed skimpily but they are sure friendly and the wings are the best! Other favorites in that area are - the Key West, Sea Grill and a little further up the coast and harder to find in a little town called Ozona - Molly Goodhead's - for the best Grouper sandwich and old Florida -cracker atmoshpere. Enjoy Clearwater - it is great!!!