Reload this Page >

Good time for Sante Fe??

Search

Good time for Sante Fe??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 01:30 PM
Beth

Good time for Sante Fe??

Planning a visit to Sante Fe and area; what's a good time in the fall? Should we avoid the Balloon Festival week? Any personal recommendations for rooming? We're on a budget, but could spring for one or two nights in a good B&B. Is it really better to stay "near the plaza"? How safe?? (Hey, I live in city area - have to ask!!)

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 11:45 AM
bev

Just returned from Santa Fe. Spent the weekend at a wonderful B & B, Dos Casas Viejas, about 1/2 mi. from the Plaza. It is totally enclosed & gated. It isn't in a "bad" area, but it was comforting to feel so enclosed. We paid $185-195 per night, included lovely breakfast & wine/sherry in the afternoon. Definately only for couples, each of the 7 or 8 "casas" have only a bed for 2. Decorating was great, small fridges, kiva fireplaces, coffee maker, "Mr. Steam" showers (not tubs) in each room. I would avoid the Balloon Festival, prices probably skyrocket as it is only about 40 mi. from Albq. & this Festival attracts a really big crowd. Have a great time, write back if you have any other ?'s, I brought back lots of tourist mags--also, check the library for Fodor's or Froemmer's books, they have loads of info.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 12:01 PM
Mark

Beth:
Santa Fe is very nice. My wife and I started going there in College. Naturally we were on somewhat of a budget. We stayed at a place called teh El Rey Inn. We haven't stayed anywhere else since then. We go back every year or so. The El Rey is not on the Sqaure or within wealking distance to it. It is more of a motel style of lodging, but very clean and each room is unique. Most have small kiva fireplaces. They have a free breakfast of fresh muffins and homemade flavored tortillas that are excelent. You should get out for under $100/night depending on the season. check their web sight at http://www.elreyinnsantafe.com/. It might sound crazy to eat Italian in Santa Fe, but do it. Pranza is the name of the place. Excellent. Email me if you have more questions I can answer.
Mark

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 03:40 PM
Lynn

Dear Beth:

We have visted Santa Fe three different times and have always stayed outside the plaza. Some of those hotel prices on the plaza are unbelieveable. We never had any trouble finding a parking place downtown, and never felt unsafe anywhere in Santa Fe.

We've also stayed at the El Rey and would do so again, but here are a couple of things to consider. It's an older motel complex, originally built in the 1930's I think, but it is now surrounded by sprawl and development. In fact, we were awakened the first morning we stayed there by the noise from the giant car wash and the sad howls from the animal shelter that are both located right next door. The newer, nicer rooms seem to be located in the back of the complex. It may be worth it to ask about those.

We've also stayed at the Fairfield Inn for $59/night and it was very nice. The best part was its close proximity to a restaurant called the Blue Corn. We were able to quaff a few margaritas without worrying about a designated driver, as the restaurant is right across the street!

Good luck!

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 04:31 PM
Susan

We too stayed at the El Rey and thought it was a very good deal. Given the sad state of the Canadian dollar, I was particularly impressed. The room was very nice. I had wondered about staying near the plaza, but the location was fine. There are so many wonderful restaurants in Santa Fe - I was glad that we had saved a little on accommodation so we could spend our money on great restaurants. We were in Santa Fe at Canadian Thanksgiving which did coincide with the balloon festival. We spent our first night in Albuquerque because we arrived too late to make the drive to Santa Fe. It was exciting to see the balloons on our way to Santa Fe and when we stopped to check out some that had landed in a field, someone actually took us up for a few minutes! Maybe rates do increase during the festival and we did have trouble finding a hotel for our night in Albuquerque, but the weather was so perfect at that time of year and it was fun to see the balloons.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 03:08 PM
Mark

I never noticed any major distractions around the El Rey over the past 5 years. It is not isolated and it is on a busy street and it is a 30's style motel. I really do like it though. When you call, get them to describe the rooms for you and ask them for the quiter side of things if there is one. One note: it is made of Adobe. Etremely good sound insullation. Do not miss the fresh tortillas for a light breakfast. Enjoy

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 09:33 AM
beth

Thanks to all of you for answering. We did decide to go during the Balloon Festival - if it is crowded, so be it! Your responses have only increased my excitement about going, and I can't wait for October. I have a feeling we may be returning again as some of you have. From all the information I have gathered, I don't think we can do it all in 9 days! Anybody go to the Sante Fe cooking school classes/dinners?