Paniolo Greens (Big Island)??

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Paul

Paniolo Greens (Big Island)??

Has anyone stayed at this resort in the Waikoloa/Kona area of the BI? Any opinions or advice about it? Thanks.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 12:20 PM
cindy

I think I've seen the place discussed on another board. Try www.konaweb.com, and go to the forum about visiting the Big Island. I seem to recall people saying positive things about it.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Brad

We are staying at Paniolo Greens in April. Have heard good and bad reviews from the TUG website. It is just over half an hour away from Kona but near all the great hotels and beaches. We have been to Kona before and stayed in the Kona area and was not all that impressed with being right in the hustle of it all so do not mind being out aways. From what I have read the units are nice and have all the ammenities. The pool is not heated but who cares when you have great beaches near by. It sounded good to us. We are trading a one bedroom for a two bedroom so that was a plus for us also. Are you trading through RCI? You evidently get a discount on the golf course. It is a shell resort and we own a shell resort and they seem to do their best to make you happy and are nice properties. Should say the bad reviews were only how far away it is from Kona which we didn't think was really far and that the pool was not heated also that it is sometimes windy up there. No real negatives for us.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 05:44 PM
paul

Been to that area once before and stayed in Waikoloa - I agree it's nicer than being right in Kona. Plus, there's Hapuna Beach.....world class!

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:35 PM
brenda

Stayed at Paniolo Greens last year. I was not that impressed. I guess if you golf, it is convenient as the units are near the course. The complex is about 10-15 minutes from the nearest beach, not a really big thing on the Big Island. It lies upcountry a bit from the coast, so if you want to be near the beach, this one is not for you. There is not much near this resort, a small shopping complex with a few restaurants, grocery store, gas etc.. nothing to get excited about. I thought the pool area was very small and very crowded. We were there at the end of Feb and there were lots of kids running all over the pool area , jumping in and out of the pool and hot tubs. Schools must have been out, but it did not make for a very relaxing experience for the adults who wanted to relax a bit. The space around the pool is narrow so it was hard to avoid the children. There is a small work-out area adjacent to the pool with minimal equipment and is nothing to brag about. We just didn't bother going back to the pool after our first experience there. Rather, we drove to beaches. As for the interior of the units: standard condo fare, I thought. Actually I thought the living room furniture was very uncomfortable. We had no view from our unit except for the course greens. Some may have better views but not our luck. I would probably not return. I was not impressed.