Panhandle/Pensacola Area Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking a very quick trip to Florida on March 4-9. I know this is a busy time with Spring Break. We fly in to Pensacola late on the 4th and leave early on the 9th. We are not lay on the beach all day people. Does anyone have advice about where to stay or visit during the trip. We will have a rental car. We're tentatively planning on visiting the naval museum, ft. pickens and maybe the zoo. We really enjoy outdoor attractions (like botancial gardens), but not adventure sports. We'd be opening to traveling in to Alabama, but would like to stay away from Panama City craziness. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM

The naval museum in Pensacola is very worth while. The USS Alabama Battleship in Mobile is also a very interesting tour. Mobile is only 57 miles from Pensacola. Then another 14 miles from Mobile at Theodore, AL is the Bellingrath Gardens. They are open all year and is also a worthwhile tour.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 06:34 AM

It's very likely that the weather that early in March won't be nice enough to lay on the beach all day anyway. Personally, I wouldn't stay anywhere but on Pensacola Beach. Since you'll have a car, you can drive into Pensacola to see the Naval Museum. Also check out the historic area downtown (Seville Square, etc). There's a good seafood restaurant across the street from the Square called Fish House which is really good. It's located at a marina.

Fort Pickens is beautiful but you'll have to walk there as the road has not been rebuilt since Hurricane Ivan. Or, you can go by boat. There is another fort close to the Naval Museum, Fort Barrancas, that you should check out.

The Zoo has been having its share of problems lately but they are trying to revive it so it would be nice if you paid a visit. It's a small zoo but very nice.

Bellingrath Gardens is very nice, especially if the azaleas are in bloom. Mobile is not my favorite city but you could check out Fairhope which is a cute place with lots of little shops. You could do Bellingrath Gardens and Fairhope on the same day. You could go back to Pensacola via Gulf Shores and Perdido Key instead of taking I-10.

I agree about staying away from Panama City but if you want to see some beautiful water, check out Destin. The city itself is too congested these days but if you go just east of Destin to Grayton Beach/Seaside area, you won't be disappointed. There's a nice state park at Grayton Beach.

Also, check out the fishing pier on Pensacola Beach. It's a nice walk out to the end and back. Much of Santa Rosa Island (where Pensacola Beach is located) is a National Seashore so just walking along the beach in these areas is a treat since there is no development.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your input. Do you have suggestions of reasonable priced hotels at Pensacola Beach?
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:06 AM
cd

Also, there is a wonderful bike path that runs parallel to the gulf from Pensacola to Narvarre that is too hot in the summer IMHO to use but I would think in March it would be great! Maybe AustinTraveler would know where to rent the bikes? Just take a water bottle.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:07 AM

I don't have any hotel recommendations as I don't use them when I visit, but I would just check all the ones on P. Beach. Some options are the Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton, Springhill Suites. None of them should be too expensive during that time. Spring Break really isn't a huge deal on P. Beach, especially cause the weather can be really iffy.

Not sure about the bike path between Pensacola Beach and Navarre, but I do know that the road still hasn't been opened since it was destroyed by Ivan and Dennis. I'd be surprised if there is a bike path anymore.

Here's a good website for places to stay, things to do, etc:

http://www.visitpensacolabeach.com/
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Part of the bike path between P'cola Beach and Navarre Beach is open. Enough of it that, unless you're an avid bike rider, will be plenty. Especially if there's a head wind. Bikes can be rented at a couple of places in the core area.

In addition to the places to stay that AustinTraveler mentioned, consider the Holiday Inn Express (formerly The Dunes). They just re-opened and may be running some specials. All rooms are Gulf front which makes for a nice view. This time of year we have some great sunsets. The one today was glorious. The sunrises aren't shabby either. Both will be visible from any of the Gulf front hotels.

Also, we don't get as busy here during Spring Break as some places. On top of that, our local schools and colleges don't have their breaks until the end of March and beginning of April.

If you do go out on the fishing pier, try to do it on a calm day. There's a sea turtle that hangs out around the pilings and he's easier to spot if there's no surf. Ditto for any other "critters" in the water.

Friday, March 7th is Gallery Night in downtown Pensacola. Lots of art galleries, quaint shops, museums, etc open. Most have free finger foods and drinks. Makes for a pleasant evening if the weather co-operates. There's a free trolley to take you to the few places outside the immediate downtown corridor. One of these is Belmont Arts Center, where classes are given during the week. They generally have someone doing demonstrations in glass blowing, throwing pottery, and such.

With only 4 full days to explore you'll need to plan ahead a bit and decide what's important to you. The Naval Museum is a great spot, as is the Zoo. As AustinTraveler mentioned, the Zoo suffered some large uninsured losses with hurricanes Ivan and Dennis but have made an amazing recovery so far and are still upgrading. They're totally private-funded and a visit would be well worth your time. Since it won't be too hot, the animals will be out and about all day. Spring and Fall are my favorite times to go there.

Bellingrath is beautiful any time but the azaleas may well be in full bloom which makes it nothing short of spectacular. Be sure to take the short walk along the water, through the cypress. Takes me back to the Florida of my youth.

The road to Fort Pickens, is indeed, still closed. They're supposed to start running a ferry from downtown Pensacola out to the fort but so far that hasn't started. Wish they'd get it going. While it's possible to bike, walk (push bike through sand), bike, walk, etc. it's not the easiest way to do it. Private boat owners were trying to work out a deal with the Nat'l Park Service to take passengers. Last I heard a deal was pending. I'll see if I can find out more about that.

Fish House is a tasty place to eat. Their Grits a Yaya (grits with smoked gouda, shrimp, and lord knows what else) are wonderful. Even my husband - who normally wouldn't eat grits unless he was starving - loves them. Under the same owner and in the same building is Atlas Oyster House which is reported to have delicious oysters. Since I don't eat them, I can't say, but my son-in-law vouches for them.

For a fairly small place, we have some pretty good restaurants and a wide variety of foods. If you have a preference let me know and I'll help if I can.

Have a great trip.

Fran
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Great info Florida Fran! I am amazed that the Dunes has finally reopened. I was honestly beginning to think it would never happen! Have you heard any rumors about what will be built where the old Holiday Inn and Five Flags Inn were? I wouldn't mind if nothing was ever built there, but I think that's too much to hope for.

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM

AustinTraveler,

So far the old Five Flags property remains unsold. With the real estate market what it is right now who knows when it might sell. That said, the owners are making noises about rebuilding something themselves. I huge thing, of course. Nothing like what was there.

On the old Holiday Inn property they have a monstrous "resort hotel" planned. Some of it will be across the street where the old tennis courts were. Basically there won't be even a glimpse of the Gulf available when it's all done. However, the artist rendering has been on display in the lobby at the Island Authority for months and months now. So far, nothing on site that suggests anything is going to be built anytime soon.

I drive past both sites at least once every day and I'm sure enjoying the open view. Looks almost parklike. I'm with you in wishing it would stay "unredeveloped" but know that isn't economically feasible. But it sure would make for some great public access.

traveladdict - sorry to have sidetracked your thread.

Fran
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Fran, thank you so much for the update. I had heard about the huge development planned but honestly, I hope it doesn't happen for a long time. It's nice to see the beach in it's natural state even though it got that way because of the hurricanes. I have to say that I have a lot of memories from the old Holiday Inn. It was one of our hangouts in the late 70's, early 80's. It wasn't a Holiday Inn then but I can't remember the name. Sunsets from the top floor lounge were great!!

And traveladdict, I too apologize for hijacking your thread. Please come back with any and all questions you might still have!!

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

No problem on the sidetracks..they are actually fascinating.

I appreciate all of the great information you have given me. We plan to do a little of some things and a lot of nothing, so the information I have about activities and where to stay is very helpful!

Thanks to all and if you have any last minute advice on the area...please post!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the heads up on Gallery night. That sounds like a lot of fun!