florida beaches/may-june

Search

florida beaches/may-june

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
florida beaches/may-june

Hi- (I already posted this but left out the "Florida" in the title)
I've been going through endless Florida posts but I'm still not sure about what areas to look at for a vacation in late May/early June. We are 3 adults, not into nightlife or restaurants on vacation, love beautiful scenery, some nice cafes for a morning latte, not-too-crowded beaches, soft, clean sand and water, long walking trails.
I'm probably looking for an imaginary, idyllic caribbean like area but really don't know where to start.
I'd like a nice hotel, under 200/night with a great pool with views.
We aren't fans of extreme heat and humidity... will the weather be too hot?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:44 PM

Naple Fla- try the Ritz Carlton or the Registry- both are on the GULF..
There are normally deals at both for this time of year- roughly $119 pn using VISA or AX..

NAPLES is my idea of heaven- it has EVERYTHING you are describing and is soooooooooooo wonderful...
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:56 AM

Check out Amelia Island. It is in NE FL. The town on the island is Fernandina Beach. Fernandina is on the national register for historic places.

Ft. Clinch state park on the island sounds like a great place for your walking trails. I believe they have over 20 miles of walking trails, and some of they buffer the beach. Additionally there are 14 miles of sandy beach great for walking. There are two coffee shops with outdoor seating that I know of.

Of course the water isn't clear and the sand isn't powdery like it is on the gulf coast. But the beaches are still beatiful! I prefer the East coast beach because it allows for activity--like walking, or riding bikes. It's Florida, so you will have humidity, but here it North FL it will be a bit cooler than elsewhere.

As for specific places to stay, we also have a Ritz on the ocean, but I don't k now if you can get it for <$200. I would check out Elizabeth Point Lodge, which is right on the beach, Amelia Inn and Suites across the street from the beach, or if you want to stay in historic Fernandina (about 1.5m from the beach, with a view of the intercoastal waterway) try the Hampton Inn and Suites--(the nicest Hampton I've seen). You should be able to get both the hotels for +-$100
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:54 AM

I puzzled at your request because of the time of year that you're going, and your desire for your morning latte at a cafe. I don't know why these beach restaurants can't upgrade from regular or decaf, but that's about the only selection you'll get at most.

Also, your desire for walking paths -- most people just walk on the beach, which stretches miles and miles.

I think you would enjoy Seaside in the panhandle of Florida, where it will be a little cooler (although not much) than the rest of Florida at that time of year. But I don't know what hotels are in Seaside, as it is mostly home rentals but for $200/night you could surely find something nice.

Also, take a look at the Don Cesar in St. Petersburg Beach. Nearby is Ft Desoto State Park which has some excellent walking and biking paths. There are excellent museums in this area, including the Salvador Dali museum and the downtown art museum that currently has a fabulous collection of Chiluly glass.

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:01 AM

Let me also add that you're getting into the hottest time of the year. I'd suggest May rather than June. Mornings and evenings will be your best times for outdoors -- find things to do in midday. Like those wonderful museums.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:12 AM
wow

The Hilton on Marco Island wld be a good choice for you. Fly into Ft Myers.
You can walk along the beach & the sunsets are spectacular. Although I generally prefer the southeast coast to the west, during late May/early June I wld not go to the SouthEast coast if swimming in the ocean is a big priority for you. It's "sea lice" season from "Mother's Day to Father's Day" in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Delray Beach area. But, if you are happy w/ walking on the beach & swimmimg in a pool then that area wld. be fine for you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:42 PM

Try Sanibel or Captiva Island on the Gulf Coast. No high rises or mailboxes. Very quaint. Absolutely beautiful. Quiet, laid back ,biking & kayak rentals, beautiful sunsets, shops ,great restaurants, & cafes, turquise water(you'll swear you are on a Caribean island at Captiva), & a nature preserve(if you are into that type of activity). The weather may be a bit toasty. You are talking about Florida!But there is usually a quick 15 minute thunder shower 3-4pm every day. When we visited different years at that time, it ranged from 80 - 100 degres(mostly upper 80's-low 90's). But the tropical breeze feels so good & the water is so refreshing .It's great.We stay with relatives.But search for the Sanibel/Captiva chamber of commerce website. Many nice condos & other resorts.I heard Casa Ybel is nice on Sanibel & South Seas is nice on Captiva. But, there are plenty of other places.Also, search rants & raves on this website.Good luck!