Palo Alto to San Francisco and Back [driving]

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi; We will be driving to San Francisco, from Palo Alto this summer, either mid or late afternoon. Attempting to find the easiest way to Fisherman's Wharf, I would take the [rt. 101] to [rt 380] to [rt 280] to [rt 1]. Then take West Pacific Ave. to Leavenworth. Then returning to Palo Alto the next day [not sure what time of day] , I would follow the same route in reverse. I had considered just keeping San Francisco Bay on my right until we reached Fisherman's Wharf, but it looks confusing. I can picture myself on the route going over the bridge to Oakland, not being able to get off. Thanks iris1745/dick
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd take #280.. then 19th Ave. past SF State College, through the park and towards the Golden Gate bridge. At the last exit, or second to the last exit, you can get off and be close to the Marina district and then get to Fisherman's Wharf. The exit should be marked. But even if you get as far as the bridge, there is a turn out and a good place to view the bay, and from there its easy to get back to the Marina district and Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kleroux; I located 19th ave on the map. It looks like rt. 1 and 19th ave are the one and the same. It goes thru Golden Gate Park, then I think rt. 1 becomes Funston Ave or Park Presidio Blvd. Perhaps then take Doyle Drive/Marina Blvd. towards Fisherman's. Big Help. Thanks iris1745/dick
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM

Having lived in SF or close by for 34 years, I would take 101 to 280 towards Downtown (not Daly City). Then follow 280 to King St where 280 ends. On King, work your way to the right most lane - and just stay there. Shortly you'll pass AT&T park, & soon you'll be on the Embarcadero - with the Bay to your right. This is a beautiful drive. Just keep on the Embarcadero with the Bay on your right & you'll hit the Wharf.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks stu; It looks like King St. goes over to Pacific Bell Park, probably the same park as AT&T? Then I see Embarcadero. Not too many street changes; just right for me. iris1745/dick
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM

I have also lived in or near SF for 36 years, and work at Four Embarcadero Center, which is ON the Embarcadero, and Stu is absolutely right on. 101 North to 280 North towards downtown. Take the very last exit (4th Street), which dumps you right onto King Street. Stay to the right as Stu said and King Street BECOMES the Embarcadero. Stay on the Embarcadero all the way to Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sf; That's made it easy. We intend to do your suggestion of 'Amici's' in San Mateo on our last night. iris1745/dick
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM

Last time we were in Amici's, it was kinda loud with lots of kids everywhere. Great for carryout, not for dining in IMO. We were last there about 3 years ago (their prices got a little too high).

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stu; Where would you go in San Mateo? With all the suggestions we had for restaurants, I was trying use something from everyone. We are staying at the San Mateo Courtyard. Perhaps something in the vacinity? Thanks iris1745/dick
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM

I almost always dine in San Francisco, so I have not visited most of the restaurants around me. I found about 5 courtyards in my telephone directory, but none in San Mateo. Could it be in Foster City? If so, that is pretty much an office area - with few restaurants I would go to (my wife worked there, for Visa).

The most options would be around Burlingame Ave in Burlingame. There must be 30 restaurants in the area.

If you need to keep the costs down (I'm assuming this because you're trying to find a replacement for a pizza place);

- Steelhead Brewery on Calif St, just south of Burlingame Ave. Good burgers, fries, and other similar things. Much niceer than an ordinary burger place. Great atmosphere.

- Crepevine on Burlingame ave. sidewalk dining, with heaters. Carbo load here. Very popular with those who don't want to spend a lot but want a pretty nice atmosphere.

- Mingalaba - Burmese & Mandarin. New owners in an old Chinese location. We get take-out here, & it seems to be very popular with locals.

Straits - on the corner of Burlingame Ave & California St. Singapore food - small plates, but the tab can get up there if you order too may small plates.

-Coconut Bay - Thai on Howard (1 blk south of Burlingame ave)

A little more expensive

-Il Fornaio on Lorton Ave is Italian, & quite popular. Large restaurant. I've had some not-so-great dinners there - but it is probably the most popular restaurant in the Burlingame Ave area.

My Choice:
-La Boheme on Burlingame Ave. French. Also a bread/pastry shop. New.

There are about 20 or so more restaurants in the area. On the southeast corner of Burlingame Ave & Lorton, there are approx 7 restaurants right next to each other, that start on Burlingame Av & run several storefronts south on Lorton. They seem to be quite popular, but I have not been that enamoured with the 2 I've tried.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM

I'll add my two cents to Stu's (since we live very near each other):

Mingalaba - we also get take-out from here regularly, but have eaten in the restaurant more than once and it's excellent (and very popular since the switch). Get the House Special Noodles, the Paratha and the asparagus chicken. Yumm.

Il Fornaia - I just don't think the food is good. Lunch salads are better than dinner entrees.

Coconut Bay - this is our favorite local Thai place.

Straits - I love the "chain" (there are 3 or 4 of them), but I've heard the Burlingame branch is not nearly as good as the others (Palo Alto and San Francisco)

La Boheme - I've been meaning to try it, and will, soon. I've heard great things about it.

Crepevine - sandwiches, salads, crepes, omelettes, that kind of thing. We go there often and it doesn't have to be "carbo-load" (but certainly can be). The omelettes are excellent.

Let me add Copenhagen to the list. It's down-to-earth "comfort food" - things like Chicken Marsala, Chicken Piccata, some pastas, fish, etc. Their hamburgers are outstanding.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks stu and sf; My origional post suggested moderate price restaurants. But La Boheme sound very good. I have it bookmarked and will now use that restaurant for our last night. Perhaps a great sendoff for only our second California trip. iris1745/dick
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM

I didn't add Copenhagen because I think it is only open for dinner Thurs, Fri, & Sat. Don't know when the OP will be visiting. Very good hambugers & fries, like sf mentioned, plus other good stuff too. It's in the inexpensive category.

Straits - when we first went there just after they opened, the waitress was from their SF location & said that they "dumbed-down" the menu for the Burlingame branch. I don't go there anymore because it is VERY noisy. Even when we call on the phone to order carry-out we can hear the annoying noise. If my carry-out is not ready yet - I wait outside so I won't get a headache from the noise inside.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM

I don't go there anymore because it is VERY noisy.

It seems to have a very active bar scene, perhaps that explains the noise level.

I didn't realize Copenhagen was only open thurs-sun for dinner. We almost always end up there on Friday nights.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks; You both suggested La Boheme and I think we will go with that restaurant. But, who knows what will happen between now and August 15th. That's our last night, starting out on July 31st. We will be doing a balloon ride from Napa. Someone suggested 'napa valley balloon rides.' Any other thoughts? iris1745/dick
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM

>>It seems to have a very active bar scene, perhaps that explains the noise level.<

That and the fact that they pipe in noise - not music - but noise KA-BOOM, KA-BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, KA-BOOM, KA-BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM

Maybe it's me getting old.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

stu; I'm 74, so anything without too much noise works. La Boheme 'sounds' like the place. iris1745/dick