Palm Springs to San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Tim

Hi,

What is the nicest/best route from Palm Springs to San Diego or is there no option?

Cheers

Tim

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:04 AM
xxx

i've gone three different ways. the most direct is hiway 15 up to highway 10. all freeway so it is fast.
over the mountain is a very nice drive but it is slow with mountain roads.
can't remember the other way. i think we went through temecula.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:09 AM
xxx

Check a map, but I think you can go into Palm Desert area and take Hwy 74 south (past Salton Sea) to the San Diego desert area and then cut across. Probably not the fastest route, but would be more scenic that the 10 and 15 freeway route.

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:17 AM
Boots

Do you mind taking a much longer trip for incredible scenery? If not, then leave Palm Springs, head south past Salton Sea, take S22 to Borrego Springs, then south through the Anza-Borrego Park (desert and mountains), then up through the mountains to Julian and into San Diego on 8. We did this in April. I couldn't say how long the trip was because we stopped numerous times and also took off-roads to see the sights in Anza-Borrego (check the internet for possibilities)but it was a fantastic trip!

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:54 PM
gps

Highway 74 from Palm Desert is a great route, but it doesn't go anywhere NEAR the Salton Sea. Take 74 to the 371 then the 79 west to Temecula. Then take I-15 south. Otherwise, take I-10 west to Beaumont, exit Highway 79, go south to Hemet to the Domenegoni parkway, then west to Winchester Road into Temecula. Then I-15 south, same as the first route.

The 74 way is a scenic highway.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:54 PM
aleichenberg

gps has the best scenic route. Have gone that way a couple times. Beautiful, but takes an hour or so longer especially if you get stuck behind slow trucks etc. in the mountain area. If you're in a hurry, take the expressway route.