Palm Springs/Desert Outdoor Restaurants???

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Palm Springs/Desert Outdoor Restaurants???

Making my first trip to Palm Springs (actually staying in Palm Desert) next week. Can somebody please recommend some restaurants in Desert Springs and Palm Springs with outdoor seating? I am looking for more causal restaurants. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Wow all along Palm Canyon Drive in the historic section of Palm Springs pretty much most of the restaurants have outdoor dining. In Palm Springs we ate outside at The Deck which is above the Chop House, The Falls which is upstairs near the Sonny Bono Fountain, Blue Coyote which is hopping in the evening but has only mediocre food and terrible margaritas, Al Dente which is at the very end/beginning of the district. Also outside dining we didn't do were: Hamburger Hamlet, California Pizza Kitchen, a Rock and Roll something which is upstairs, a great looking Pub that is right next door to the Chop House, Thai Restaurant next to Al Dente, Starbucks which is busy all day. I could go on but there are so many along that section.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help Suzie. Are there also a lot of outdoor restaurants in Palm Desert?
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:02 AM

We pretty much just stayed in Palm Springs but we did drive along 111 to Indian Wells. 111 runs kind of parallel to the mountains and through all the adjacent towns. We saw lots of strip mall but not so much outdoor dining like we saw along Palm Canyon Drive in Palm Springs. That is not to say there aren't any. Actually a Palm Desert restuarant with great reviews Cuistot (on Paseo) has an outdoor patio. The Kaiser Grille (on 111) which has a place in Palm Springs and Palm Desert has outdor patio dining,
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:15 AM

You can find a few places to eat outside at the River, in Palm Desert, on 111. Not sure of the cross street. It is a kind of upscale shopping, dining mall with theaters, restaurants, and some shops like Borders. Some you can eat outside. There is a PF Changs and the Yardhouse there and I do not think that you do eat outside there. Also a Pigs BBQ place and I think you do eat outside there.

Also the Gardens at El Pasea has a Tommy Bahamas (outside patio, very lovely, really), Sammys (pizza and salads), and some other places.

It is getting rather hot here so mid day might not be a good time to eat outside unless you don't mind 100 degree heat while dining. Some places have misters.

If you have a car you can just cruise around these areas and pick a place that looks good. There a lots of little cafes along El Paseo that have outside dining.

Also, if you are staying in a hotel, ask your concierge. They can recommend some other places for outside dining.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:06 AM

One of my favorites is Fisherman's Market & Grill. One of their several locations is in a center on 111 at one of the major intersections (Washington?) in La Quinta, across the street from Beer Hunter (of course, I'd remember that).

It has outdoor dining, and is very casual. In fact, don't be put off by the order-at-the-counter, fast-food appearing system. The seafood is as good as in many much more expensive places.

And, since I mentioned Beer Hunter, it's okay too. Typical sports bar sort of place, but they do a good job with their wide range of casual dining options.
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM

Augusta in Palm Desert. Great outdoor ramada with bar and restaurant. Also quite the local scene right now.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:40 PM

I just got back from Palm Desert a couple of weeks ago. One of our favorite spots to eat (and we ate there several times we enjoyed it so much) was Tommy Bahamas. It is located on El Paso in Palm Desert. El Paso is a great street to stroll and shop. The restaurant Tommy Bahamas is located above the clothing store which is street level. The restaurant is one the second floor and there is plenty of outside dining. Palm trees and umbrellas for much needed shade. The food is fabulous a must try. Enjoy!
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:42 PM

I would also add Spencer's in PS to the list.