Palm springs & Santa Barbara hotels

Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Palm springs & Santa Barbara hotels

We will spend a week driving to both Palm Springs and Santa Barbara in February.
Would love to find a NICE inexpensive hotel accommodations to stay about three nights in each place.
Or does anyone know a comfortable place in a nice location in Pasadena, that is not expensive? (You can see we like nice areas, but can't afford the best.)
We need to economize, and are willing to contemplate other pleasant places, with nearby good food, and maybe some nice sights and places to walk.
any ideas?? Thanks in advance
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

I guess I should have said what our budget would be -- I'd like it to be well under $100 per night, is that impossible??
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM

Both Palm Springs and Santa Barbara have Motel 6's which are well under a $100.

Both cities have lots of great restaurants to choose from. Have a good time!
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

MBnancy: Many thanks. I will look in to them both. Last time we stayed in a time share in Ventura, which was quite all right. Now we've sold our time shares, so no more trading.
Never been to Palm Springs so that should be fun.
Any thing special to do in Palm Springs?
Jan 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM

I would try Priceline for Palm Springs (don't forget to include Palm Desert and La Quinta). You might get lucky. If you can avoid the weekend, you might try the following which is a motel, but has a nicer pool and rooms than a Motel 6.

calientetropics.com
Jan 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mlgb, I'd never heard of Caliente Tropics, it looks quite OK, and very decent prices.

Is it better to try Priceline closer to the time we'll be there?

I probably wouldn't know a good bargain in Palm Springs, as I don't know the good hotels or the good locations.
Jan 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM

We just got back from Santa Barbara this weekend. This Motel 6 was around the corner from where we stayed, a block from the ocean, in a good location and is about $75 a night.

http://www.motel6.com/reservations/m...x?searchtype=C
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM

When I do Priceline I usually try "Resort" in Rancho Mirage-Indian Wells-Palm Desert. (I prefer not to stay in Palm Springs if I can avoid it, because I mostly go to play golf). I also like to use Hotwire, because then I can usually figure out the hotel, as they all seem to have slightly different resort fees and amenities.

I don't think there is any reason not to start trying. If it doesn't work out you can always try again closer to the trip. Be sure to check betterbidding and the other website, can't remember the name at the moment.

You might also check Best Western Las Brisas, which gets mostly favorable reviews.