Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Palm Springs--Activities and Accomodations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 07:42 AM
David

I'm considering a trip to Palm Springs this summer. Yes, I know it's hot. =)

Any suggestions on things to do--other than play golf, which I don't.

Also, any affordable hotel recommendations?

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 09:31 AM
kam

I would question why Palm Springs if you don't golf! It's the golfing mecca of S.CA. Very hot--most of the nicer places are very pricey. There's a good discount mall at Cabazon if you shop and an aerial tram that goes up the Mt. San Jacinto. Never found much to rave about in terms of restaurants---we only went for the golf and the mild weather in the winter. I sure would reconsider. If you'll be in S.CA think of a beach city like Laguna or Newport.

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 11:34 PM
PalmSpringsPete

Why on earth would you go to Palm Springs in the summer? What you will be doing is trying to stay cool. The one major attraction that would be very welcome in the summer is the tram up the San Jacinto mountains. It travels from the desert floor to 8500' where the temperature will be very comfortable. There is aproximately a 40 degree change from bottom to top. It is well worth it. You will have no problem finding reasonable accomodations in the summer. The area will be virtually deserted. All of the hotels etc. will offer you some pretty attractive discounts.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 12:13 PM
michael

Actually, I stayed in Palm Springs last year June. While it was hot as h-ll in the valley, we spent most of our time visiting two extraordinary national/state parks. One is Joshua Tree National Park and the other is San Jacinto State Park. Both are at very high elevations -- in fact Mount San Jacinto is the highest peak in Southern California -- 14,000 feet I think. It is very cool and beautiful in both of the parks, even in the high summer. Joshua Tree is only 30 minutes from Palm Srings, as is San Jacinto. These two places are totally worthwhile. They are relatively empty -- all the tourists flock like lemmings to Yosemite, thinking that it must be too hot in the southern desert. The landscapes of the two could not be more different or dramatic. Joshua tree is a vast expanse of high and low dessert with breathtaking vistas, rock formations, and wildlife. San Jacinto is an Alpine forest atop a mountain range. Most of the year it is covered in snow. But in summer it becomes accessible and enchanted.

As for where to stay, we had great success in renting a 2-bedroom condo. It was VERY nice -- on a golf course in a resort community. Cathedral ceilings, fully furnished, etc. And dirt cheap given that it was hot as h-ll in the valley -- $400 for a 5 day long weekend. Consider this approach.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 05:00 PM
PalmSpringsPete

There is a big difference between June and July. June has much lower humidity and lower temperatures. In fact May to mid June is my favorite time in Palm Springs. July and August are another story. Actually Mt. Whitney is the highest mountain in California. If you want to get out of Palm Springs then visit Big Bear which is an alpine lake at about 6600'. Of course if it was me, I would just stay at Big Bear in the summer.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 05:11 PM
kam

Boy, do I agree with Palm Springs Pete---I too would choose Big Bear over Palm Springs or Lake Arrowhead where there is a lovely resort. Big Bear is a place that most of the tourists to So.Cal. never find out about! It's gorgeous! Summer water fun and winter skiing!