Search

NYC packing tips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 08:17 AM
jenny

NYC packing tips

I'm leaving for New York City on July24 and returing July31. What do I pack clothes wise?

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 08:46 AM
Maria

I'm from NJ, just across the Hudson from NYC. Manhattan will be unbearably hot from now until mid-september (most of the time). The city especially, because of all the concrete, buses, trucks, cars, taxies, etc is a very sticky, sweaty, smoggy, muggy place to be. However, don't get me wrong. It's a great city! And in the summer, everyone and every"thing" comes out.

Obviously if you're going club hopping, or to expensive restaurants, etc..whatever, you'll need the appropriate clothes for that. But if you're going to be running around to all the tourist attractions, my advice is light shorts, light comfortable shoes/sneakers, light t-shirts (light colors). Bring 1 or 2 pairs of long pants (jeans, whatever) in case it does get cool and rains... Maybe one light jacket for the unlikely cook evening. But really, be prepared for heat. I don't know where you're from, but the NE gets pretty humid in the summer! Too many damn wetlands.

Have fun....

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 09:00 PM
Erik

Ahhh...summer in the city....yeech!
I live in Brooklyn and let me tell ya about the summer...Stay in the malls and librarys...because thats where all the air conditioning is! The city gets realy hot, sticky, muggy and over all not too great. Between the taxis which the mayor is now trying to rid the city of, or the wonderful 90o+ temps with about 150% humidity, if your use to crisp, clean mountain air...fugetaboutit!
Polo shits, shorts or lite pants are you best bet. Of course dress clothes will be approp. for resturants or the club scene. But if you're planning to just roam the city streets, grab yourself a pair of shorts and some walking shoes and off you go!
A lite jacket if you plan to do alot of waterfront viewing (ie. Statue of Liberty, Circle Line). Else, you should do well with normal lite clothes. Have fun while your here. It's a helluva city.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 04:08 PM
kam

Black linen, white cotton and Visine for your blood shot smog infected eyes!! NYC in the Summer---yuck!

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 06:39 PM
Donna

Agree with all of the above. Normally, advice is to pack light, but if you will be running around all day in the heat and fumes and humidity, you'll definitely want to shower and change before going out again in the evening. So, pack extra clothes, or take things that you can wash and drip dry overnight.