Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palm Island West Coast of Florida

Has anyone stayed in Palm Island on the
West Coast of Florida-45 miles from
Sarasota?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Is that the Palm Island that's only accessible by boat?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM

I'm lost. 45 miles from Sarasota which way. Is it an actual island? Where is it? This can't be Little Palm Island in the Keys. What are you talking about?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM

I think Palm Island and Little Gasparilla Island are near each other. They are off Boca Grande.

I've stayed at Little Gasparilla Island in a condo. Both of these are accessible only by boat, although there is a ferry that leaves for Little Gasparilla Island from somewhere, can't remember just where, seems like it was near Pine Island.

These are very nice islands -- but there's nothing there other than residences. And some golf courses. People drive around in golf carts.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:45 AM

Little Palm island is in charlotte county I believe. I haven't been for a few years but when last there, there was virtually nothing on the island other than rental condos, one forlorn restaurant and a marina.
I think it is a golf cart island so it would be very relaxing vacation. However, you'd have to go mainland for everything and Charlotte County is retail-deprived. No restaurants of note, poor stores. It has a lot of growing to do.

Palm Island is closest to Venice for restaurants, etc. and Venice is not that great IMO. Sarasota is not much further with a wealth of things to do for a day trip or two.

If you can operate a boat, a rental along with your condo would be lots of fun. Lots of places to stop along the Intracoastal. That is how we found Palm Island.

LMF
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:56 AM

I have stayed at the Palm Island resort many summers from 1995 - 2001. It is a great place to go if you want to totally relax. We usually left the island once or twice during our one week stay to get groceries and go out to eat. There is one restaurant on the resort - which is ok.

The reason we stopped vacationing there was because the units are individually owned and rented out through the resort. We noticed that the quality of the interior of the unit we liked was declining and wasn't being updated. There is quite a variation in the interiors and no real standard.

We have also rented a place on Little Gasparilla Island and that was even more remote - you had to bring your own boat. The Palm Island resort has access to a car ferry.

I will check back and see if you have any more questions I can answer.