Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Palm Desert last minute help (hotel and golf)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Palm Desert next week on an extended family vacation. Due to a family emergency, our parents (the planners) are not coming. Leaving us with soome last minute travel plans to make.

Any recommendations for a hotel (need one night). The rest of the nights are taken care of at the Marriott. So...looking for someplace not too far away (15 minutes)...and looking for someplace under $250 a night.

Also, we want to golf...and we don't want to pay $200 a round. Ideally, we don't want to pay $100 a round.

Normally, we have researched to the nth degree, but I just don't have a lot of time, so I am looking for guidance from you! THANK YOU!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:32 PM

I don't have any recommendations, but here is a list of golf courses, along with information including greens fees.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses...Palm+Desert+CA
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:52 PM

The Marriott Residence Inn should be in your budget.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...n-palm-desert/
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Palm Desert is exposed to the wind, whereas Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage has a wind shadow. If you stay in Palm Desert for the lower rates, I would still drive a few miles over and play Rancho Mirage CC for golf. Last time I was there, they had 50ish early morn and twilight rates. Everybody is hurting out there, so you can find a good golf package at a top resort.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Assuming the weather next week is golf-compatible, you might call StandbyGolf for discounted next day tee times.

Another option might be to stay at the Shadow Mountain resort, they have a smallish but challenging golf course with reasonable rates, in the south part of Palm Desert (where it isn't windy) within walking distance of El Paseo.

Definitely try Priceline as well.

www.standbygolf.com
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM

My apologies,
I misspoke. Its Desert Hot Springs that is windy, not Palm Desert. As mlgb states, Palm desert is in the shadow of the mountain range.
Sorry
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM

And there are parts of Palm Springs, Cathedral City and Rancho Mirage that are windy. I think the worst I'd ever experienced was in north Palm Springs. Generally the farther north you are, the windier that it is.

Unfortunately the weather next week is starting to look dodgy.
Local TV stations such as KESQ.com tend to be better than global sites such as weather.com.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much...I am finally able to start researching (and turns out we need the hotel for the entire trip. I will let you know where we end up. Again...thanks.