Palm Desert Condo recommendation

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:19 AM
LH
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palm Desert Condo recommendation

We are thinking of a trip to Palm Desert the first week of April with two teenage daughters who are beginning golfers. I have been on the VRBO website and am overwhelmed by the condos listed there. We want a two bedroom, a nice pool, and our budget is up $2000 for the week (so hopefully a more upscale condo). Is there a specific condo neighborhood that you would recommend? Or a "guide" somewhere online that gives a summary of each condo development in terms of 4-star, etc? I keep seeing the names Palm Desert CC, Desert Falls CC, Palm Valley CC, etc. but they are like Greek to me because I have no idea where they are in terms of a good/bad location or which neighborhood is better than the other. I have looked into the Marriott timeshares (which of course look wonderful) but they are about $500 per night then so out of our budget. Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM
dmlove

Here is a map of the entire area -- this is your first step. It's probably a 30-minute drive from one end of the map (Palm Springs) to the other (LaQuinta). Each town is different -- Palm Desert is quite upscale (it's where the Marriott timeshares are) with El Paseo nearby (El Paseo is the Rodeo Drive of that area). The LaQuinta area has lots of nice golf clubs/courses/homes, but not much of a town. Cathedral City is in the midst of redevelopment and is not one of your more upscale communities. Palm Springs is older and is also in the midst of redevelopment. It has the largest downtown area, but personally I don't find it very appealing right now (maybe in 5 years, it will be again). I don't know anything about Bermuda Dunes or Indian Wells. There's an area I don't see on the map called Desert Hot Springs that I've heard is NOT nice. If it were me, I'd focus first on the Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage area and see what's available in your price range, then maybe someone can chime in about the golf.

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
dmlove

After I wrote that post, I realized you specifically said "Palm Desert". Sorry if I led you astray, and I hope someone else can chime in about the various golf clubs.

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:08 AM
LH
Original Poster

Thanks for the summary, it was very helpful and confirmed that I think we want to be in the Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage area. I am not concerned with specific golf clubs/courses at this point as my girls are such beginners we will probably be looking for public courses and/or Par 3s that we know we will have to drive through...they are not ready for an 18 hole "championship" course 9 (and to be honest, neither am I!) In the Palm Desert/Rancho Mirage area, are there specific condo communities that you think are nicer than others? I know each unit is decorated differently by the owner, but I am thinking more in terms of nicer pool(s), larger units, just more attractive overall?
Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM

The Marriott condos are excellent, and the resort is wonderful for families. However, I have no idea of the cost per week, as I have only stayed as a hotel guest. It was loaded with families.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM
dmlove

There isn't anything available yet for April, but you might check Craigslist. Marriott timeshare rentals (people who have a week to rent and want to do it privately, rather than share 50% with Marriott, which is Marriott's "take" on rentals) go for very reasonable prices. You could even post a "Wanted" ad. (I own a timeshare there, but not in that season, otherwise I'd sell it to you cheap, because we can't go in 2008!)

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM
LH
Original Poster

That's a great tip, because the $500 per night on the marriott's website is more than we want to spend. Any idea on when availability for that week (march 31-April 6) will start to pop up? If that doesn't work out, I am still hearing about people's favorite condos in the area..which condo neighborhoods are regarded as the "nicest". Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I own a condo at Monterrey CC (Palm Desert) and a timeshare at the Marriott Desert Springs. I would contact a realty company, such as 1st Team Becker and Becker (we bought through them). They are familiar with most all the condo developments and which rentals would fall into your price range; as well as their locations; they also handle condo rental properties. (No, I don't work for them-I live in Minnesota.) Many of the condo developments do not allow you to play golf on their courses unless the person you are renting from is a member; which may not be a concern to you.
You could contact any local real estate company, and let them do the leg work for you.
Have fun.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM

We're leaving for a week in Palm Desert for Thankgiving, and every year like Desert Falls Country Club to stay in, just off Cook Ave. and the freeway. Sometimes we stay in the same unit, this year we are trying a new one, because we waited too long to book our regular.

We rent the three bedroom model, as we like the lay out better. Check out those, the extra 1/2 bath is nice. Big rooms, TV in each, wireless. They show the photos on VRBO, so you can get one that has updated furnishings, kitchen, too. Pools are everywhere aound the complex, usually just next to a unit.

We find we can shoot down Cook Ave. and head in any direction on Hwy. 111 for activities. DF's is kitty-corner from the Marriott, across from a small shopping center with grocery store, restauarants, hair and nail, etc.

Your budget of $2,000 a week is more than we pay. We also go back in the spring at Easter. Not sure when that is this year, but if we like this unit, we will book this far ahead.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM

(Dsiclaimer: I also used to own a condo at Monterey CC!)

The 2-br units at Rancho Mirage, Sunrise, and Monterey CC are all similar (all built by the same developer around the same time), and they would probably be an okay fit. There are a lot of smallish pools at Monterey, which is nice as sometimes you can find one near your unit which is lightly used. Palm Valley units are slightly newer, they have a great fitness club, larger lap pool, and spa on site, but is windier. Desert Falls is also okay, but more in the "wind zone". April can be fairly windy so something to consider.

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM

For Rancho Mirage, I am referring to "Rancho Las Palmas."

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:42 AM
lvk

You should note that the Dinah Shore Golf Tournament is that week (google it). In our experience, this generally drives up prices and drives down availability. That week is typically our kids' spring break week and we have had some trouble finding reasonably-priced condo accomodations.

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM

My parents live full-time in Ironwood CC and we have rented units there when we visit for holidays. They just completed a huge new club house.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Not in Palm Desert, but on the outskirts of Palm Springs - but this might be of interest to you. We've booked this place for a couple of nights next year (after being totally overwhelmed by the variety of rentals in the area and we didn't want to pay a $1000 security deposit months before we arrive!) http://www.vrbo.com/global/siteFrame...turnurl=/75133
3 bedrooms, pool and jacuzzi, RIGHT ON the golf course, use of golf buggy(!) and good reviews. The first week of April is free and is $1850 for the week.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 08:45 PM

We own a timeshare at the Palm Desert Marriott and find it to be a great location. I did find over the summer that Desert Springs 1 was a little run down. I was sad to see that - it needs a little updating to say the least.

Are you an Interval Memeber? You can get "getaways" often - and it is usually very reasonable for a week.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 06:04 AM
LH
Original Poster

Thanks for the wealth of suggestions. Until the last post, I was leaning towards checking vrbo and craigslist, etc. to try to get a 2 bedroom unit at Marriott Desert Springs I for a reasonable rate. I had thought those were the best choice because unless I am mistaken if you stay there you are allowed to use the pool at the JW Marriott, which the teenagers would love. If it is run down though, that is definitely a negative. How do the other Marriott time shares compare? We want a nice pool, a relatively upscale-feel condo and a convenient location. I am still open to the other Marriott locations as well as several of the condo neighborhoods you have suggested....I just want it to feel "vacationy" as opposed to residential I guess (hard to describe, sorry!) so it makes me little nervous to rent a condo through an owner (i've never done that before)...I dont want to feel like i am an "intruder" in their house using their things. I'm sure we'll find something, but thank you all for your advice!
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:02 AM
lvk

You do not want your teens to use the pool at the hotel side of the JW Marriott in Palm Desert. When we were there in May, it was jam-packed with adults, drinking and hooking up, with loud music playing. Definitely not a family-friendly environment. The L.A. Times Travel Section recently did an article about the singles scene at that pool.

The main pool at the Villas is much is much more mellow and family-friendly. The main pool at the Marriott Shadow Ridge Villas is also very nice, new and family friendly. Both would give you that "vacationy" feel. There are also smaller "satellite" pools at both locations that are less crowded.

The Shadow Ridge Marriott usually runs specials as it is not yet 100% built-out and there is still construction going on in some parts of the huge complex.

However, keep in mind that you will be there during the Nabisco LPGA tournament and "The Dinah" weekend, which is billed as "Lesbian Spring Break". As I stated before, this usually means higher prices, lower availability and more crowds partying at the pools.

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM

I'd be surprised if there is a big Lesbian contingent at the Shadow Ridge complex, even during that week.