Search

Packing medications and small food items

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:55 AM
MSS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing medications and small food items

We will be traveling next week to St. John and was wondering how we should pack medications. DH takes various meds that are sent via mail in the form of 3 month supply. Can we take them in 7 day pill holders or do we need to have the original huge bottles? We have never had problems in the past, but was wondering if anything has changed.

Also, if we want to take a small amout of coffee. and other small food items such as sugar, salt, etc., can we pack them in small plastic containers or do they have to be originals?
Thanks!
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You might want to check on the Caribbean board also. Unless St John has customs rules against brining a particular type of food onto the island, flying with dry goods like salt, sugar, coffee is not an issue on the plane.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM
MSS
Original Poster

Thanks, I posted this as a general interest question on no particular board. St John is part of the US. I was just wondering if we could bring the stuff on the plane in containers that were not the originals.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM

MSS -- here is a link to a thread that was posted not to long ago with the thoughts of some Fodor folks regarding meds on a plane...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34846727

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 04:02 AM

The official rule is that prescription medications must be in original containers. However, although some here have reported extra attention paid to medications, I do not recall anyone being denied transport of medications packed as you suggest.

If DH takes any controlled substances (pain medications like morphine, Oxycodone, etc.) I would be more careful with these regarding documentation. Same goes for any injectable medication with syringes.

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:53 AM
MSS
Original Poster

Thanks for the link! Answered my question. Since it is mostly heart meds, I will take the 7 day thing and pack the papers that explain what each medication is so that I don't need a separate suitcase!
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:10 AM

I don't know how easily it can be done if you have meds from mail order but my mom gets meds locally in a large bottle. I went to the pharmacy and asked for a small bottle with appropriate sticker documentation and they did it in a jiffy.