What to take to St John

Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

What to take to St John

We are renting a private villa in St John this month and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether or not it would be worth it take some food with us or not.
Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM

We always take some food with us. Altho you will find most everything you need there, the price will be higher and depending on arrival time it could be inconvenient to hit a store right away. We've had several occasions when the first night left us with a food option - flat tire on the rental car, no open restaurant nearby - plus we travel on the cheap so taking a small duffel with food works for us.
Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

I have heard that some people take frozen meats with them. Do you recommend this? I was thinking of taking more of the stables.
Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM

2We'll be in St. John in a couple of weeks also, with two of our daughters. It's our first trip to St. John, but not our first to the Caribbean, and we usually bring with us a few items we really love to have around but might not be able to find: special cereals, small bottles of olive oil and vinegar, maybe a special jam. We also bring a few boxes of pasta, a hunk of good parmesan cheese, some ramen noodles, etc.

This trip, however, we're going to bring some frozen items as well: steaks, chicken and maybe even some shrimp. Plus, several bottles of wine. The island isn't exactly known for its cuisine, and it can get pretty pricey paying for meals for four every night of the week -- especially if you end up at a few places that turn out to be mediocre. The other important factor is that we all love swimming and snorkeling and walking, so it will be nice to have a couple of nights at home when we're just plain tuckered out.
Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM

we used to do just ad adlmllr does, take staples. We also brought coffee filters and coffee...those things that can travel and may be costly but you can stick in your carry on. Lots of people pack frozen meat, etc which is a good idea because I always found decent meat hard to find and expensive. However, we always travel with carry ons only and did not do so. And....you WILL be tuckered out after a day of snorkeling!!! We were always early to bed! enjoy it is my favorite island.
Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM

Absolutley! Last year we brought steaks, shrimp, scallops, etc. for 9 people and only ate 1 meal out all week - Cafe Roma's. It's fun to snorkel & swim all day then cook and hang out by the pool.
Apr 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM

We travel from New England so the door to door trip usually takes us about 8 hours at least. But during this time, the frozen, vacuum-sealed meats I throw into the luggage travel perfectly. If you're worried about check-in luggage, I'd just throw it into the carry-on. The $20-30 I save for throwing in a full frozen tenderloin and $20-30 for the frozen shrimp is worth the small inconvenience. Spices and other somewhat costly items which I might not use a lot of, I put into ziplocs and into the check-in luggage. In short, you don't want to have to buy things there you'll only use a bit of. Dry cereal and stuff like milk, juice etc. that you'll be able to use most of, I wouldn't bother. Prices can be 30-40% higher, but you're only staying a short time so it's not that bad.