Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Packing Light --any tips, suggestions or hints?

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of four will be taking a week-long vacation to Arizona / Grand Canyon / Sedona / Las Vegas in early August. We don't want to have to lug big heavy suitcases around all week and so want to try to pack light. Would like to fit entire family into two suitcases. Any suggestions or tried and true ideas from all you seasoned travelers?
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM

You have to basically get into the packing mindset of, "Can I get along without that?" rather than the "Is there any chance I'll need that?"

1. Create a packing list for each person and stick with it.

2. Take travel sizes, and only one each of sharable things (toothpaste, shaving cream).

3. TWO pairs of shoes per peson, no more; your most comfortable walking shoes (or sneakers, whatever) and a second pair depending on what you'll be doing.

4. Also limit anything else bulky to the absolute minimum; at this time of year, one sweater or other warm layer should be sufficient.

5. Choose dark colors that won't show dirt, especially pants/shorts and sweaters.

6. Stick to neutral colors for pants, shorts, warm layers; choose colorful tops/shirts so you won't get bored.

7. Try to choose less-bulky items, especially pants; jeans are comfy but bulky to pack and take forever to dry.

8. Wear your bulkiest stuff (especially shoes) on the plane, and take a medium-sized carryon that will hold enough to get you through 24 hours if your luggage goes astray, including toiletries and a change of clothes. As well as, of course, valuables, medicines, etc.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM

You might consider back packs for each family member. Rick Steves sells these great backpacks, which my wife & I took to Italy last year. We were gone 12 days and only had a pack each.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM

My husband swears by those space bags. He works overseas & goes every other month with a carryon & backpack. The space bag type bags really help his clothes compact so that there is room for other stuff.

A question.. how old are the family members? That makes a big difference in packing. If you will have transportation then I would suggest not taking anything that you can buy there (extra shampoo, food,etc). On our recent trip to Jamaica all 4 of our family had backpacks to keep up with.That gave us more freedom to take less suitcases.If your family members are old enough then have each one pack their own & tell them that they have to carry what they bring.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 10:30 AM
maj

Did you read Fodors "How to pack almost any bag-3 easy tricks"? You can access it on the home page. One thing (you may already know this)is to never have any empty space. Example: stuff shoes with socks. I couldn't believe how much more I got in my suitcase using the roll method.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 10:33 AM

If you are going for 7 nights, pack for 3-4 nights and do laundry halfway through your trip. I pack for 4 people and we each bring one small-medium duffle type bag and it works out well.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Mwessel---this is a timely question! We are doing the same trip the last week of July (flying from East Coast and renting a van) but 2 of my 3 children are teenage girls who cannot fathom going anywhere without half the wardrobe (gotta look good hiking around the canyons!) We have always had the rule when traveling that you are responsible for anything you bring--no one will help, carry, etc. That has pretty much kept them in line, but it does seem like a difficult trip to pack for. We will be doing the Walmart thing as soon as arriving for cooler, water, etc.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Zip-off pants (pants that convert to shorts)are great for outdoor activities in the summer. I always start with the minimum shorts/pants requirements, then add tops that coordinate. For a week, you should be able to get by with 3 bottoms and 8 tops/undies/socks, one sweatshirt (dark!) and a raincoat. Have one decent outfit, the rest rugged outdoor wear. Wear your casual stuff on the plane ride out; it will get dirtiest the fastest. Wear your dress outfit on the plane ride home, since it is likely the cleanest thing you have.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 11:02 AM

These ideas have worked for our family of four on trips to Europe, Canada, Latin America, as well as across the US.

1. Forget jeans, unless you plan to do some heavy duty activity where they are required. They take up too much room, weigh too much, and will never dry if you figure out how to wash them out in a hotel sink/tub.

2. Pack easy wash and dry materials.

3. Everything you bring should match everything else you bring. Bottoms in navy, black, or khaki would match just about every color top.

4. Pack underwear and socks in ziplock bags. When packing a bunch of people in one suitcase, it makes finding each persons items a lot easier plus you can press in air out and condense the size of the packed items.

5. Whenever possible use multipurpose and layered items. A large t-shirt can double as pj's and a bathing suit cover-up.

6. As hard as this may be for many of us: limit shoes. I have a pair of Ecco walking shoes that can also be worn with a skirt for dressier needs. No they are not what I would choose at home but they work.

7. If you are flying, with everyone's stuff in each suitcase, a lost suitcase could impact everyone. Make sure to pack one full change of clothes for each person and toiletrees in a carry on tote. I just put a change for each of us in a gallon size ziplock bag. Last year it was finally (or unfortunately) worth the precaution when my daughter's suitcase was lost for three days on our way to Mexico.

Have fun on your trip.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 11:03 AM

All great tips. I can add one. I don't have space bags but instead use 2 1/2 gallon zipper loc plastic storage bags. I put three or four shirts in one, sit on it to get out air, and then zip it up. You will be amazed how much more you can get in your suitcase with the air expelled. Other bags for undies, etc. I pack pants with the layering method.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM

I apologize if someone already mentioned this, haven't time to read all the posts b/c off to BBQ. Just be careful trying to fit everything in two bags. I did this last year and was very proud of myself that I had room to spare in both suitcases only to find out at the airport that I exceeded the weight limitation. They would have "let it go" if I paid $25 bucks more, but decided to take out stuff and place in everyone's backpack to reduce the weight. When I returned, home I returned that suitcase to the store because it essentially left too much dead space and was useless. So, I thought I outsmarted myself that trip...not!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Sunnyboy

When my spouse and I travel, we take one standard "roll-on" for each of us. We've learned that if it doesn't fit in that we just don't need it. Use the following hints and you can't go wrong: Step 1 - Set out all the clothes you think you'll need. Step 2 - put half of them back in the closet. Step 3 - Pack the rest. Step 4 - Bring more money. Seriously, most people who are not regular travelers tend to bring way too much. As one of the previous posters said - thing about what you'll really need not what you might need. The other posters have given you great hints - doing laundry (Laundy service at hotels is a bit pricy but you're on vacation so why fret) and using space bags. Also, remember, it's doubtful anyone is going to notice, or care, if you've worn the same outfit for dinner several times during your trip.

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Great tips!

No matter how many times I've travelled, I still bring too much!

Lay everything out on the bed and reduce by half, as suggested. It'll still be too much.

Remember that about 1/3 of your luggage space will be taken up with things that are not clothes: toiletries, camera, favorite film, first aid kit, medicines, (sun)glasses, tour books, maps, CD player and CDs (for the kids), etc. etc.

Use the roll method for clothes as suggested. Keeps most clothes fresh looking AND takes up less space.

For a one week trip, I can't imagine you will need more than two pairs of pants, one to be worn on the plane over; 3/4 shirts/blouses/T-shirts per person; and a like amount of underwear per person. Midweek, find a laundromat (this is the US where laundromats are plentiful), and spend a couple of hours doing several loads of laundry at once. The laundromats have dryers too! It shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours getting a fresh set of clothes!

Handcarry your jacket/sweater onto the plane with you. It does not count as an extra piece of luggage and, most times, it get very COLD way up there, so the jacket/sweater comes in handy. If it were me, I'd make that a light windbreaker with a hood - altho the chances of it raining where you are going is almost nil.

The individual backpack suggestion is an excellent one. Let each person carry his/her own change of clothing (in case of lost luggage) in his/her own backpack. Try to get a good sized backpack. I see people with those teeny-weeny backpacks that are really purses. They are ridiculously useless. Rick Steves also sells a wonderfully feather-weight backpack that has three zippered compartments. It's small enough to double as a daypack. Weighs next to nothing.

Get a good miner's light which will double as a flashlight AND as a night reading lamp. It's wonderful as a night reading lamp, because you wouldn't have a groaning partner trying to sleep with the lights on while you are wide-eyed and bushy-tailed at 2am in the morning! Don't get the basic one if you are planning to do any long term reading at night because the cheaper ones tend to go dim after a short time.

If you pack really light, you can make do with two 18"/20" instead of huge 24" on upward monstrosities.

Check this Fodors forum for a lot of wonderful suggestions on things to do in Arizona.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 12:43 PM

These are all wonderful ideas!

I got so used to using the "roll method" when I traveled more, that I started rolling things at home before putting them away, instead of folding. T-shirts are rarely ever too wrinkled to wear.

Also, I remember reading somewhere about an idea of packing older, imperfect or less-favorite clothes, undies, socks, etc., especially for activites like hiking and camping. When you are finished wearing them, you supposedly throw them away. As a matter of fact, I can think of a couple pair of my son's jeans that need to go for just that reason.

WendyLynn: Did you re-read #4 in your post? "When packing a bunch of people in one suitcase ..."

That might save on plane tickets, but I wouldn't exactly call it packing light. LOL!

Donna

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Thought of another tip for traveling with a family: pack things like the pajamas together, and all the swimwear and sandals; have one backpack with everyone's raincoat, and one case with the dressier clothes. That way, when you hit a situation that needs a change of clothes, you can get ready much faster.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Author: MelissaBeckoff
Date: 07/04/2004, 07:15 pm
we are going horseback riding out west and my children wish to bring their helmets
can they wear them on the plane?

thanks

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Packing pajamas and raincoats? Try living without the PJs. And, though this is admittedly personal preference, I haven't had a raincoat since discharge from the USAF a long time ago...
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:59 PM
maj

Speaking of raincoats, we have been taking those $1-$2 poncho things on our last couple of trips. They are great for hiking--no weight and take up very little room in a backpack. We've found they keep you dry and you can reuse them although you can't get them back into the packs easily.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 05:17 PM

My well travelled adult children have taught me well - take 1/3rd of what you think you'll need!
We are going to the UK and Portugal for 2 weeks in July - I'm taking one med-large checked bag and a back pack.
I have to bring my tux/dancing pumps, etc. for my son's wedding in that stuff.
M
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 06:21 PM

I condensed packed for years, (one large back pack 1-3 months trips, carryon upright 2 weeks every where else)gets exhausting. You won't be lugging around extras but you will be spending unnecessary time at the laundry mat. Listen to some of the great ideas here but be honest about what you don't want to be without.

role clothes, limit shoes, $$ money for what you will replace on the road because you overly ambitious in packing light. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -