packing for alaska

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
packing for alaska

I'm flying into anchorage 7/22/05, then to seward and denali, need some advice on what I should pack, do I need anything heavy or just dress in layers, fleece, hiking boots, wool socks, etc..
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Do the layering thing and more important be prepared for Rain. You might not need the wool socks.

A word of tourist advice. Never complain about the rain. It drives the locals nuts.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Unless you go out on a boat, it will not be freezing cold. You would want to bring a light jacket for the mornings, and a sturdy pair of walking shoes, but you really don't need the overly-heavy stuff. I agree with the above post, you don't really need heavy wool socks.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I was in Seward same timeframe last year. No need for anything other than a waterproof raincoat. Perhaps a sweatshirt at the most. We even did the dogsled helicopter to the top of the glacier...they have gear you wear. The only time we got chilly was a boat trip up close and personally to the glaciers out of Whittier...definitely no need for anything wool. Hiking shoes are a must...bug spray..lots of film!! Great restaurants in Girdwood (on the way between Seward and Denali)Broke my ankle hiking there, but still have the greatest of memories...enjoy!!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I have a pair of ankle high hiking boots and some lightweight wool socks, or should a pair of sneakers be sufficient?

Thanks for the other advice, I wasn't sure if I needed a down jacket
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 02:21 AM

If you do some uphill walking, you want good tread. It's also good to have footwear that can keep your feet dry. The paths around Independence Mine are paved but steep. A trail in Whittier had some narrow plank trails in section. These would be very slippery if wet. Depending on your sensitivity to cold, you might need a hat and gloves if on a windy boat trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Don't forget binoculars. Also we brought a soft-sided cooler folded in our luggage. It was great for carrying around perishables and leftovers.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Just check weather.com before you leave. Anchorage is in the 60s today. It's not winter, so layers to make you comfortable are all you'll need. I agree with the rain jacket to cover up the fleece or wear alone. When we were there several years ago,it was in the 70s the entire time so we just used the rain jacket as needed. The fleece under it was for camping at night when the temps went down a little.
It's a beautiful place. Enjoy.