Search

Package holiday

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Tammy

Package holiday

Hi its me - Tammy. I was just wondering if their is such a thing as a package holiday in USA. All holidays or vacations seem to be booked independently of a travel agent. So tell me, do Americans go on package hols?

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Jane

Yes, there are package holidays within the US by various operators and Americans do take package holidays. I have no idea how many, though. Why are you asking this question? If you really want to know, it would be pretty easy to check with a travel agent, airline, etc., or many online sites. There are plenty of ski packages, for example, and lots of people take those. There are also packages to places like Las Vegas, Atlantic City, the usual popular tourist areas. Go to www.travelzoo.com and you'll find plenty, for example.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Tammy

Sorry, I meant are there package holidays from USA to Scotland or England for that matter. It just seems that Americans plan their own curriculum for travel to UK, so I wondered if their were no package holidays available.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Gina

Tammy, there are tour companies that do package trips to Scotland or England. The problem with tour companies is that they are very structured, you have to leave in the morning at a certain time etc. whereas traveling by yourself you can do it at your leisure and go exploring on your own.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Tammy

Usually when I go on holiday its always package holidays. Went to Florida on a 2 centre break from Scotland for three weeks and it was package. I thought package holidays were better value for money. Been to Corfu on package, Italy on package, Spain on Package. I just think its cheaper.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Sue

Tammy-Sometimes you can get a better deal if you do the research and book your accomodation seperately. Most tour companies/package deals also add in travel agents commission into the package.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Tammy

Its just that, honestly, our package trip to Florida was way cheaper than doing it all separately. We priced flights, car hire, accommodation etc. and the package won no probs.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 07:52 AM
Bill

Tammy, Most package tours give you the run of the house rooms, which means you could very well be next to an elevator or ice machine or some other undesirable location and often times the rental car you get is a tin can. Make sure you read the fine print and that you understand what you are really getting as far as rooms, rental car etc. goes.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:18 AM
Barb

Tammy-Be careful where your hotels are in relation to the beach. Someone from England posted a while back inquiring where their hotel was and it turned out it was a long way from the beach in a retirement community with nothing much to offer. You might also want to check what hotels you are in, they could very well have put you in run down properties and dressed up the brochure to make it look like you were staying in a castle.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:22 AM
Ann

Tammy-package holidays are nowhere near as popular in the US as they are in the UK. There are some, but most people book flights, hotels and rental cars separately.

After seeing some of the great deals you can get on package holidays in the UK, I wish we did have more of them. But on the plus side, at least we don't have to deal with those charter airlines.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 11:32 AM
Tammy

Yes. well, thats true about the charter airlines. The seat pitch is small compared to scheduled airline. Actually, I've never flown on a scheduled airline. Always been chartered for me, I'm afraid. Never really had a bad deal yet though. Maybe I've just been lucky eh!