Pacific Northwest Trip Reveiw Part 1

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Pacific Northwest Trip Reveiw Part 1

Pacific Northwest/Seattle trip Review
My husband and I just returned form our trip to Washington State. We are a couple in our 30's. You all helped so much I wanted to thank you. We booked our flights on a Sunday and left the following Saturday. So we did not have much time to plan. All accommodations were booked 3 days before leaving! We landed in Seattle around 8:30 pm we stayed the night at the Silver Cloud hotel in Renton fair price for the room-booked it on hotels.com for $80. We got up the next day and headed up to Olympic National Park via the long way Highway 101. We decided to take this route number one because we had never visited the Pacific Northwest and number two we heard it was raining in the mountains but it was gorgeous we were driving. The area going up the Hood canal is very scenic. We arrived around 3pm at the Hurricane Ridge entrance to the park-and it was pouring no view what so ever but we had fun pretending! We checked into out lodge room at the Log Cabin Resort on Lake Crescent.(Definitely not a Resort but the rustic room had a breathtaking view which for two nights was worth the price for the view alone!) We decided to go out for a hike-there is an old railroad trail close to the place. By 6pm the sun was out and the rainbows were peeking through. We had dinner at the Lodge and it was pretty good.

Next day we got up early and headed to Marymere Falls- beautiful hike which did not take us the full 1.5 hours that signs said it would. It seemed as though we had the place to ourselves we only passed a few people-it was great! We then took the trial to the Lake Cresent Lodge and made reservations for that nights dinner-a must!!! We then got into the car and headed to the Hoh Rain forest. What a neat area! We did all of the loops and hiked part of the Mt. Olympus trail. It rained on and off but you were under so many trees it really didnít matter. Again when we first arrived the parking lot only had a few cars in it-it had a lot more by the time we left but it still never felt crowded. Next we decided to hit the beaches instead of going to the Hot springs-hope we were right in doing so. We headed to La Push and hiked through a forest and at the ended about 1 mile was the most magnificent beach! It was a beautiful surprise and the sun was shining again! I think we parked in the lot that said second or third beach and hiked in. We had dinner that night at Lake Crescent Lodge-probably one of the best dinners we had in a long time! This Lodge is much nicer(the grounds and facilities) then the Log Cabin Resort. But I still think the view from our room at the Log Cabin was better than any view at Lake Crescent. The drive up Lake Crescent itself on 101 is wonderful.

Day number three-we headed back to Hurricane Ridge-and to our delight(even though rain was threatening) we had a good view(it didnít last long) but at least we had it! We hiked the Hurricane ridge trail by the time we got to the top you couldnít see a thing but we did spot a Blue rouse family(sort of looks like a peasant)at the very end-so it wasnít a total wash! By the way the last mile of this trail is all up hill. We then headed to the Port Towsend ferry-what a cute town! Took the ferry and stayed the night at the Coachman Inn in Oak harbor Whilbey island. This place was great! We booked it on Hotels.com for 75$ Great complimentary breakfast-every amenity you could think off and home made cookies! We went to Deception pass and stood on the bridge-great view and tremendous currents! This bridge is great to photograph.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM
mms

What a treat to read! We used to live in WA and loved the Olympics and Whidbey Island, among many other areas. I look forward to reading more about your trip.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Thanks for your review. I really enjoyed it and gave me ideas for my next trip that way.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Pacific Northwest Trip Review Part 2:

We headed to Anacortes to get on the 8:30 am ferry to Friday Harbor San Juan Island(only about 30 mins from the Hotel). This was my favorite part of the trip. The Islands are great! We stayed at the States Inn B&B-great place itís a working farm with horses, alpaca, chickens etc. The breakfasts were amazing-all fresh and mostly organic! We loved this little gem!!! We loved exploring the island for two days-we hit just about everything you could do, we went Kayaking in Roche Harbor and to all of the historic sites, Lime Kiln state park to watch the orcas(which we did see on our last day) about a dozen of the magnificent creatures right in front of us. One even breached in front of us!). Both nights we had dinner at the Madrona Bar in Roche Harbor and watched ďcolorsĒ at 8pm each night. Itís an island tradition where they lower the flags to music!!!! Good entertainment and food! The island again wasnít that crowded-there were many times where our car was the only one parked at a site-just think a sunset on the ocean in total privacy! WooHoo!

We had a great ferry ride back to Anacortes(we got a box lunch to take with us from the Market Café-a must lunch stop in Friday Harbor). The ferry ride was spectacular in itself-I don't think the pictures we took will do justice to the actual beauty that we saw. We headed to Seattle via the long way again-we went through some great towns-If you have the time avoid Rt 5! It worked best for us especially since it was the Friday of Labor day weekend. We got into Seattle-stayed at the Sheraton Downtown. I was thrilled to get a 110$ rate on priceline.com only to find out you had to pay 26$ to valet park!!!! AHHHHH insane-they donít even charge that in NYC! And you had no other choice since they just tore down the self park. The room was very nice though. The next day we hit the Public Market only five blocks form the Sheraton, we then drove out to Lake Union-had lunch in Fremont(great little area) we went to the Center for wooden boats. Then to the fish ladders-that was great! PS there is free parking if you continue along the road AFTER you see the Pay lots! A NAVY band was performing a free concert at the Locks and it was a beautiful day. We then went back to Seattle Center and went to the Experience Music and walked around what was the free part of the Bumbershoot festival. We went back to Fremont for dinner at Jai Thai-great food and then headed back on the redeye to Washington DC.

The week before labor day is a great time to travel to the Pacific Northwest! Great weather, and no crowds!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Thanks, joolleeb, for this great report! A wonderful trip! We are headed there next week and your report is very helpful. May I ask you about the ferry to/from San Juan Island. We only have one day and I'm wondering about how early we need to be at the ferry terminal. The website says average 45-90 minutes wait times. What was your experience? (I'd rather plan on 45 than 90 Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

texasjo
We did get there an hour early. It was mid week and not very busy at all. We could have been there 30 min prior and been fine-but for having never been there we were cautious. They say especially on weekends o get there good and early. Washington State Ferry should have a new Fall schedule posted on the website. I think the times switch mid-september. If you are only going to Friday Harbor(San Juan Island) you'll want to take a ferry that goes straight there. That way it will only take 1 hour. I would suggest this if you only have one day to spend out there. We really had to study the Ferry schedule as it was a bit confusing having never been on one. Have Fun!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:44 AM

We've never been before either and don't want to miss the boat but don't want to waste time either since ours is limited. I have the schedules and have pulled up the ferry cams often and it has never looked too crowded this past week. Looks like 45-60 minutes ahead will be ok. We are going only to SJI and will have the day to explore and enjoy. Hope we see some whales! I'm so looking forward to the trip. Thanks again.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Thanks......what fun!!!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM

Thanks so much for your trip report. I think we might have been at Roche Harbor and on the ferry at the same time! So glad you had a great time.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:14 PM

bookmarking....