Reload this Page >

Pacific Grove, Monterey, or Carmel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:12 PM
vicki

Okay, here's the plan. We want to drive up the California coast highway 1 from Cambria to the Monterey area. We are from the Midwest and when we get to the coast I want to be able to wake up and see the ocean. Where should we stay...Pacific Grove, Monterey, or Carmel? The Tickle Pick, Highlands, and Carmel Valley Ranch all look nice. Are they too far away from the things we want to see. If we stay there instead of in Carmel will we have too much driving to do? I have no idea how close these towns are and the traffic/parking concerns. My husband wants to golf, I want to shop, and we both want to enjoy the scenery via bikes or walking and we want to visit the aquarium. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Leslie

The actual beach in Carmel-by-the-Sea is quite small. There are very few places with actual ocean views there. One that comes highly recommended is the La Playa Inn, but it get's quite booked up and has no pool.

There are several hotels right in Monterey (Cannery Row) that have ocean views but they are on the pier and not beach front.

Pacific Grove has more places with close-up ocean views and beach access.

Carmel Valley is away from the beach, has no beach/ocean views but does get more sunshine/less fog.

Carmel Highlands where you find the Highlands Inn and Tickle Pink do have ocean views but are high up on the hill and quite expensive.

All of these communities are within 10 - 15 minutes drive of one another.

Here's a good website for finding lodging: www.monterey.org

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:24 PM
scott

vicki,

the la playa in carmel is a excellent suggestion, however they DO have a pool. I was just in it last summer. the hotel was once a single house owned by one person in the early 1900's. Its situated in a very quite neighborhood 3-4 blocks from the main street where ALL the shopping is in Carmel. You can get ocean views at the La Playa. If you want to shop this offers a great happy medium ie. quite yet walking distance to the main shopping street. GOLF, shuttles run to the golf courses or its a 15 min drive to some of the best courses in the world. Pebble Beach, Spy Glass. Other courses in the carmel valley are very nice. Traffic can be bad during peak times in the carmel valley region because its the only road in and out. If youd like a good mid point before coming to carmel stay at the ragged point inn on the big sur coast. You'll have ocean view..from your cliff side room. Good restaraunt there as well. Another boutique hotel even closer to the shopping is the pine inn. take a look at www.carmel-by-the-sea.com
good luck and enjoy your stay. its a wonderful area to visit.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:40 AM
x

can't recommend a hotel but i prefer staying in monterey. there is just much more to do in the evenings. visit the other places during the day.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:42 AM
vicki

thanks for the information. I don't mind paying for up to $300 per night, but pebble beach facilities are out of my price range. Any more suggestions out there?
to the top