Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pacific Grove/Monterey/Carmel -- 3 days in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 01:23 PM
Iris

I have already done a search on these places on the forum but would like some input, first on whether May (ca. either 15-18 or 24-27) is a hopeless time to go with respect to weather.

Also, it seems that those who know the area think Pacific Grove is a better place to stay than Carmel, which in turn is better than Monterey. Do you agree or disagree, and on what basis?

Our tastes would run to a comfortable (even if quirky) B&B or small inn, under $200 -- slightly more interested in a pretty site/sight (of the ocean?) than in being convenient to things, although we would need to eat even if Rt. 1 is fogged in. I found one person who said there was a lot of info on B&Bs already posted and that he had a Word file on it -- I couldn't find the specific B&B post, but I'd appreciate recommendations.

Thanks.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 04:20 PM
Helpful

Here's one for your consideration:

http://www.karenbrown.com/california/ticklepink.html

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 05:22 PM
BJ

Here's a website with a listing of some B&Bs in Pacific Grove.
Sorry -- the web address (URL) is quite long:

http://goldenstate.worldres.com/scri...n=3275&pn=1361

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 05:05 AM
gail

We usually take a May birthday trip to this area annually. It is usually beautiful and bright. Carmel is a great little place for a couple, or people who want a shopping excursion. It has the Tuck Box Tea House and wonderful small romantic places to eat.
While I don't think Pacific Grove is "better", it is a better buy for your money. It is quieter and just a different experience. We have stayed at both and enjoyes them both. I just stayed at the Monarch Cove Inn (Capitola) last week and really enjoyed the Ocean Mist Suite.It really depends on who is going and what you want to do since your budget and timing is more flexible than the previous post inquiry(s).Check out Asilomar Beach and grounds while you are there the Julia Morgan architecture is wonderful.Have a great trip!

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 06:20 AM
Cal

I personally prefer Carmel over Pacific Grove. I think that most folks prefer Pacific Grove simply becuae it is cheaper but you should have no trouble getting a place in Carmel for less then $200.00. May is generally a good time to visit. It is a pretty dry month though you may get some fog. I say go for it and have a great tiem.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 10:23 AM
Iris

You are, as always, great. Thanks and let me know if any of you want some info on Mass., DC, or NC/Outer Banks.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 01:33 PM
Paula

May, September and October ususally have the best weather. I prefer staying in Carmel because it is such fun to walk all the little streets, particularly after dinner when most of the tourists have gone home. You can also walk down to the beach and have a picnic.

Paula

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 08:55 PM
Sal

We stayed in Pacific Grove last May and the weather was perfect. I highly recommend the Grand View Inn, or its sister property next door, the Seven Gables (Seven Gables was the one featured on the American Express commercial a few years ago.) The rooms are beautiful and the breakfast lavish. We woke up to the sounds of seals barking! Both are on the ocean and there is a great walking path that runs along in front of it. It's just a few miles from the entrance to the 17-mile drive. Parts of the view were obstructed by barricades because that is turtle hatching time and they are protected. Have fun.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 03:18 PM
Bob

I live in the Bay Area and own a second home in Pacific Grove. We love the Monterey Peninsula and enjoy Carmel, but prefer Pacific Grove. PG is really more of a real town whereas Carmel is basically all for tourists. Both are great though.

One nice place in PG is the Green Gable Inn. It is near the Seven Gables mentioned above and also faces the Monterey Bay with fantastic views. A grand old home! It was the boyhood home of a friend of mine and he now wishes his father had hung on to it.

In Carmel on Ocean Blvd, the main street, is the Pine Inn. Very quaint and close to everything in Carmel. We have stayed there and can recommend it. A very easy walk to the Carmel Beach.

Any other questions, just email me.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 06:50 PM
dana

I love both Carmel and Pacific Grove. Although I've been to both places several times, I am now starting to prefer Pacific Grove over the ever-quaint Carmel, and the reason is that as one poster just posted, the Grand View Inn and Seven Gables have always intrigued me especially at nighttime, all brilliantly lit up, each room is simply BEAUTIFUL, because I looked at the rooms on the web a few months back, and I think they cost anywhere from $160 on up, but they didn't seem to have T.V.'s and that's why we didn't stay there. Maybe they did; not sure.
Now, we recently stayed in CArmel at a cute place called the Garden Court Inn.
Although it was a very nicely decorated room and all with a private patio, I didn't like the bathroom; too small. The
shower barely fit me and I'm not a very big person, and for a King room with private patio, which is representative of most of their rooms, the cost with tax was a whopping $269 per night, so it was not worth that price; maybe worth $150. They had kitchenettes and cont. breakfast and fireplaces. The Dolphin in was a good value. It's part of Inns by the Sea, and I think they have a site by the same name .com, and
the Normandy Inn in Carmel right on Ocean Ave. is darling. Extremely quaint. It's hard to go too wrong in Carmel. I also noticed that the Best Westerns in CArmel had reasonable prices. I think one was called the Adobe Inn. The Forge-in-the-Forest REstaurant is really fun; it's outdoors with lots of fireplaces. Now in Pacific GRove I stayed at the Deerhaven in Which is part of the Larchmont Inn, and that's very reasonable and it was very, very nice with kitchen too. But if you love the ocean, then stay at one of the above mentioned B&B's mentioned above (P.G.) and book early, as they seem to go fast.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 10:38 AM
kam

Absolutely agree with Bob above. Carmel and Pacific Grove are both tops. If you like shopping, little restaurants, more people, Carmel is ideal. If you'd rather be more quiet and walk along the water, Pacific Grove is for you. May is a very good time to come. We rarely go down during July and August because of the buses of tourists. You'll need to play driving Hwy 1 by ear--if you get up one morning and the weather seems clear, go for it. If not, there's plenty of other things to do. Monterey in my opinion is second tier--but the aquarium is spectacular and there are several nice restaurants. It's just more touristy than the above two (but better for kids). There's much info to be had from the California tourist board and the AAA. Enjoy.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Alanna

We got married in Carmel in April. The weather was cooler but still lovely. I haven't been to Pacific Grove but I really loved Carmel (the Highlands & the town). We also visited Big Sur - one word... WOW!!! We stayed a night in Monterey - it was average. Check out Capitola by The Sea. It is a small resort town in the general area. It is very small and pretty with some good restaurants.