Pacific Coast driving trip w/kids: insanity?

Old May 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
kip
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacific Coast driving trip w/kids: insanity?

We are considering a car trip with our kids, ages 8 and 12, from Seattle area to Ventura, CA. We'd head down I-5 to Portland/Longview and head over to the Oregon Coast, then south. Then a week at the grandparents with a pool and cocktails and then back up to the PNW. We're thinking of a quick stop in Astoria, (family there) then a night somewhere on the Oregon coast, a night in the Redwoods, maybe a stop in San Francisco and another in BIg Sur. We've played with the idea of camping a couple of nights and hoteling it the others. Then on the return, we'd probably head up through King's canyon (Yosemite too busy) then ??? Any ideas out there in Fodorland? Four nights down, three nights back with a week of lounging in between. Two adults and two kids in a Volvo wagon. Any must stops, must stays, great ideas? We have pretty intrepid kids. Or are we just plain crazy?
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not something I'd enjoy. Besides the week R&R w/ the grandparents in Ventura, you are talking about 7 days straight driving from Seattle to Ventura and back. A LOOOOONG way to sit in the back of a Volvo . . . . . .
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:34 PM

I think it sounds like fun but then again, we drove last summer with similar age kids from Kansas City to Portland covering the Oregon Trail.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The shortest distance from Seattle to Ventura is more than 1100 miles. When you add in the detour over to the coast and coastal/mountain hwys in CA and OR you are talking about nearly 3000 miles in total R-T.

You'd have to average more than 400 miles a day which just isn't possible in places like Monterey, Big Sur, Kings Canyon, the OR coast and elsewhere.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Did it with my folks several times long, long ago... why not?

Yosemite too busy... when? You don't say, but one presumes mid-summer(?) Yes, awful busy, and not very convenient from I-5. In fact, I think cutting across the valley to the national parks doesn't jibe with your overall timing. Plus you don't say how you'd cross over to the valley/I-5 from Ventura; most routes are yucky and unscenic (or via LA.) I'd head back up 101 and cut over closer to the Bay area. Then pedal to metal, find motels with pools for the kids.

Maybe a portable DVD player?
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM
kip
Original Poster

Thanks for both the positives and negatives.. Gardyloo, I think you're right. Cutting across So Cal to the National Parks is probably another trip. So... where are the best stops???