PA - Gettysburg vs Amish Country

Apr 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

PA - Gettysburg vs Amish Country

I will be in Pennsylvania Memorial weekend. Plan to visit Philadelphia on Fri, drive to Amish country on Sat morning and drive back to New Jersey Sun am/afternoon. Now I am debating doing Gettysburg instead of Amish country. Or can I fit all in? Any recommendations on what is must see? This will be my only visit in this area. Thanks.
Apr 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Are you interested in the Civil War? I've done and enjoyed both locations, but gettysburg is a battlefield and museum. Amish country is crafts, interesting sights, and some nice shopping.
Apr 17th, 2010, 02:12 AM

I am neither a history buff not have any particular interest in the Civil War. I still found Gettysburg amazing. We did the self-guided car CD (at that time tape) narration. This allowed us to go at our own pace (it was about 10 years ago and we had kids with us); have returned once with just HS age dtr on a look-at-colleges trip. Have heard wonderful things about Ranger-lead tours as well.

There was some kind of spiritual connection to be standing on ground where battles were fought. Since I knew little beyond the basics of the Civil War and am a rather visual person, to see the distances, hills/valleys finally put it in perspective for me.

Have also been to Amish country. Beautiful landscapes, interesting drive-bys. But did not capture me in anything approaching Gettysburg.

Interesting side note. I bought my favorite travel carry-on bag at a little local craft shop on a side street in Gettysburg.