P(ost) & R (un)syndrome

Search

P(ost) & R (un)syndrome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P(ost) & R (un)syndrome

Is it only me or does this bother others?

Post & Run Syndrome: some [often a new person to Fodor's] posts a legitimate inquiry. It is often detailed and asking for specific suggestions. All the good Fodor Folks take time and effort to reply, providing links, suggesting routes, alternatives etc. The replies keep coming and there is just one thing missing -- the OP never returns to acknowledge the replies. They may come back and read them withont comment, but who's to know?

Am I the only one noticing this? So, come on OP's please come back and check all the hard work that folks have put into answering your questions with at least a "Thank You."

IM(?)HO
Debi
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:37 AM

I completely agree. Thanks for bringing this up!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:46 AM
webgirl5

agreed

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM

I don't really care if the OP comes back to say thank you or not.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:58 AM

I think it is nice if the OP comes back with a thank you, but it doesn't bother me if they don't return with a reply.

I believe this has been addressed in the past and it seems like the consensus is that when the little things such as repetitive questions, complaints about structure of questions or an OP disappearing start to become annoying it is time to take a break.

I'm not directing this at you Debi, just commenting on previous threads.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM

I personally like it when a dialogue develops between the OP on the other posters. It's much more fun for all. Some posters have no interest in getting involved in that and that's okay, but I do believe this place works better when people share back what's been shared with them.

-Bill
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I (like to) think that sometimes they don't know how to find their post after a few days.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

wtm003- I should add that I do what I do here because: I love to travel, and I love to help others and I love to share my experiences about travel with other Fodor Folks. I also enjoy reading what others ask and answer. So, I will continue to answer [and do my fair share of asking] questions to the best of my ability -- even if OP doesn't get the benefit of all the replies given to them. And Bill, you are right...the interaction gives a true personal touch to the board.

LOL, marigross...that may be the answer!
Debi
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:51 AM

I've noticed that too, and don't like it, but what can you do?

Yes, sometimes I wonder which hotel that poster chosen. Or was the trip cancelled. Or where in the world is Kal and why had he stopped posting
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Another issue is the topic. I open posts like "help with hotel" or "going South" only if I see a dozen replies, so I think it may be something entertaining.

Or my favorite: going to XXX city, what is there to do?

Oh, I can give you such a long list of pet peeves, I better stop!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Fodors and its ilk are basically semi-functional wikis. People add to the body of knowledge for others to use. If the search function was more robust and accessible, the number of posts might fall significantly. How many people have asked about driving from LA to San Francisco - eliciting variations on the same response umpteen times. If there was an easier search method, people could look at the body of knowledge and see relevant answers, rather than asking the same question over and over.

Of course that would reduce the "dialogue" aspects of the site - the community, personalities, off-topic and tangential posts - which would be a shame, but its functionality as an information channel might be enhanced.

Acknowledgement and thanks (or no thanks) are always welcome though. It's just the neighborly thing to do.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I'm with you Debi!

I also get bothered when I see a post that says "Gee, you all did sugh a good job planning my trip to Asia last year that I'm back to let you plan my Europe trip". So I go look for their Asia posts (figuring I can get an idea of their traveling style), and find they asked lots of detailed questions, but never gave a thank you or a any sort of trip report to let us know how useful (if at all) was our info.

They also never followed up when later posters had questions regarding that same area.

I've seen a bunch of these lately, so it isn't like they couldn't find this site again. Just want to get, and not give back.

I even jokinly told one of them that they needed to do feedback on the last trip before they got new tips, but it hasn't happened yet......
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM
GoTravel

The bastids.

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM

And for those who think writing a trip report is too much trouble for a bunch of strangers, I've found that it inspires me to do a nice one if I print them out afterwards and put it in the photo album next to all the photos. I't doesn't have to be really detailed-- some good ones I read here just have a list of hotels, transportation, dining and activities with brief comments, both positive and negative.

I tend to be very wordy, so I write the origional as a Word document, then modify it as needed to post in public here.

I've been doing this for a few years now, and am always surprised how much fun it is to read them later. Our kids also appreciate them, and will even more so in a few years.

Some of my friends and relative have been asking for details as well so I email the reports and figure they can see what we've been doing IF they're interested, or delete if not!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I find it more annoying when someone posts a very non-specific or unclear question - and never comes back to rpbodie more info.

So you have the options of 1)wasting your time and effort trying to answer a question you don't really understand or 2)not bothering to respond at all.

(I once gave a detailed answer on budget restaurants for a family event - along with a bunch of other people - only to find out later that the OP wanted only steak or seafood - neither of which was within their budget.)
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:00 AM

LOL GoT!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM

From this post I just figured out who/what the OP is! I always thought the "OP" may be a monikor for a particular person! LOL.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I agree, I particularly like the first timers who ask for opinions, don't get the answer they want or expect & then get mad. If you've already made up your mind, why ask ?!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:24 AM

If I have a spent a bunch of time responding then it is kind of a drag not knowing whether they ever saw it or not. I don't care if they say thanks but if they respond at all indicating they have read any of the responses would be nice. It seems to happen pretty oftne but it happens alot at TA too and that site is much easier for a novice to navigate so I think it's just the way some people are. Maybe they are just minimal posters.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I've noticed that too. It's not polite to do when someone spends their time helping another person with detailed information and the original poster never responds, even with a simple "thank you". I've noticed on another website when someone gives advice and there is no follow up the advice giver says "are you going to respond"? That gives me a chuckle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -