Oyster Bay, Hamptons, Montauk

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents are coming to visit my husband and me in NJ in October, and we're planning on taking a day to go out to Teddy Roosevelt's house in Oyster Bay, Long Island. We'd like to stay the night somewhere on Long Island, and my mother specifically mentioned the Hamptons and Montauk. Can anyone recommend a place to stay in or near any of those places? We'd like somewhere convenient to the beach and a town. If we could walk to both, even better.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM

If you go to maps.google.com you'll see these are not short distances. It's a good hour and a half from Oyster Bay to Southampton, the first of the Hamptons. From Southampton to Montauk is another hour or just under.

Assuming you're prepared to do these drives, it probably makes most sense to stay in Southampton but there, you can't really be in walking distance from both beach and town. It's a bike ride or short drive to the beach from the village. The Southampton Inn is in the village. It's more motel than "inn" but I think it's fine. The 1708 House is also in the village and a lot more charming. A Butler's Manor is a b & b that consistently gets great reviews but
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g4...rk-Hotels.html

I have to say at this time of year, apart from the lighthouse, Montauk is pretty quiet. There's much more to see and do in the other Hamptons.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

I just saw what a drive it is. Do you know Oyster Bay and its environs?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM

Well I've been to Sagamore Hill but I don't know the area that well. It's very pretty but not too many options for hotels, if that's what you mean. The other thing worth seeing near Sagamore is Old Westbury Gardens. http://www.oldwestburygardens.org/

I think it's worth visiting the Hamptons assuming you're going to stay overnight somewhere.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Erg. Just noticed that the Hamptons International Film Festival is going on that weekend. We might be out of luck. Does anyone know of anywhere closer to Oyster Bay, preferably near water and a town?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Or on the Connecticut waterfront?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM

Oyster Bay and environs are either residential or office parks - and the hotels are basically a lot of chain places. Nothing on/near the beach.

And why CT - is that another day? Getting from Oyster Bay to CT will involve either a very long drive back and through NYC - or a ferry ride across the sound from Port jeff. I'm not sure of the schedule at that time of year.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

I suspect my mom would like to be by the water (she's landlocked in Ohio most of the time). That's why I thought we could go to the CT waterfront, some parts of which are closer than the Hamptons are to Oyster Bay.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:54 AM

How about Port Jefferson, there's Danfords, right on the water and it's a cute town, not far from Oyster Bay, etc.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:06 AM

mowrites:

You live in NJ and you are going to LI for beaches/Water?

Take her down to Cape May! Specifically Cape May Point.

Bird/Nature trail right on the Ocean, beautiful spot for your Mom to walk/see.
Plenty of places to stay in town as well.
Don't get me wrong, I love Montauk. I think it is one of the most beautiful places to see, but it is such a trip to cross those NYC Bridges and tunnels to get out there from NJ.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:10 AM

I would have also recommended Danfords in Port Jefferson. It's evidently been fixed up and has become quite nice. That said, not that much to do there. (imo) Have you tried getting rooms in Southampton?
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Port Jeff sounds great. The night we wanted at Danford's is not available, but I'll see if we can change our plans.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

bmw732002, you don't have to sell me on the beaches of NJ. There are no better. My whole family rents a house at LBI every year and Spring Lake is my day-trip choice. I think my parents just want to try somewhere different. They went to Cape May in July.

mclaurie, I haven't tried Southampton yet. So many of the hotels/motels get awful reviews on tripadvisor. Can you recommend one?
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, mclaurie, you had given me some recommendations earlier in the post. My husband and I aren't the biggest fans of small b&b's--we like a little more anonymity.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:35 AM

You could also try the Hyatt and Marriott out near Hauppauge (I think), they're not on the water, but easy to get too, the Hyatt has a really good Sunday brunch and nice golf course.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM

The Southampton Inn http://www.southamptoninn.com/
and the Enclaveinn.com
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Bayville Beach is close to Oyster Bay and has a nice motel there. The area also has several great restaurants between Centre Island and Bayville.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We're going to do one night at Danford's in Port Jeff. Has anyone ever been to the restaurant, Wave, at the hotel? They have a decent review on their site, but I'd love some personal insight. Or if anyone has another recommendation, that would be great. We love good food but we're not fussy on decor. My parents tend to like livelier (but not too noisy) places.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM
mp

You might want to look at the restaurant reviews through New York Newsday, the newspaper which has a big LI section
http://www.exploreli.com/entertainment/localguide/

or you can try the NY times dining section, which also has separate reviews for LI
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Sounds fine. http://www.exploreli.com/entertainme...,7223074.venue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -