OWJ1 & 2 return to Myrtle Beach with 3 & 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been on the boards much lately but have a good excuse. I went back to work FT and spend the rest of my waking hours chasing (or cleaning up from) 2.5 yr old twins.

Thanks to the unbelievable generosity of a fodorite friend (whose name I won't mention but she's not as icy as her screenname might imply) my husband, kids and I are off to N. Myrtle Beach June 25 - 30 for some R&R. (In most cases that would stand for rest and relaxation. For us, that means running and retrieving!)

We plan to eat breakfast and lunches in the beach house and do dinners out. Ideas for family friendly seafood or family friendly anything would be appreciated. Last visit to NMB was prekids. We hung out one evening in Murrel's Inlet and loved it there. Any suggestions of places we could enjoy with kids?

What about playgrounds in NMB? How about indoor play places (in a mall or elsewhere) in the event we have a rainy day?

And one more question for Beachdweller, GoTravel or others in the area: would you consider a mini GTG with us and the kids? (Sorry, we won't have a babysitter!)
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Shamelessly topping my own post....
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM

OWJ, I'm trying to think of playgrounds but with the beach, not sure you'll need one.

Give kids a bucket and a shovel and they are set for hours!

I'll get with my girlfriend who lives in NMB and get some restaurant recs for you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey OWJ! Hope you are having a great time!

I used to stay at the Hampton Inn at NMB and pretty much just ate at K&Ws across the street or grabbed Thai from the restaurant "in town". I heard there's a good Thai restaurant in NMB. I don't travel there for work anymore but the last time I had planned to eat at the Bass Pro shop. Yes. Really.

I LOVE the Islamorada Fish Company in the keys and they have a location next to the store in NMB. At the Keys location, the bar (Zane Grey's) is not a "kid" place but the restaurant on the ground level definitely is. Check out to see how the NMB location looks. www.fishcompany.com

When googling for more info (to see if I could find kids meal items) I found that they are having "Summer Camp" at Bass Pro. The girls may enjoy the fishing in the pond but I bet ALL of you would enjoy the S'mores workshop

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...-05_25_09-_-na
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM

Here's a park with playground -
http://www.n-myrtle-beach.sc.us/Page...ID=7&LinkID=21

And, this looks fun for Thursday night -
Music on Main Concert Series: Thursday, June 04, 2009 : 5:30pm to 7:30pm--Main Street comes alive with the new Music on Main Concert Series. Stroll along Main Street and enjoy LIVE music, shopping, food & drinks. Free concerts take place the first Thursday of the month from 5:30-7:30pm. Click here for concert line up!

http://www.n-myrtle-beach.sc.us/
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

You're the best, GoT! Thank your friend in advance for me.

Thanks, Starrs! Clearly I should be utilizing google more. I appreciate you looking stuff up for me.

I want to say that the last time we were in NMB 3 yrs ago, we went to Islamorada Fish House. I need to reread my old trip report cuz my memory ain't what it used to be and my comprehension skills at 3am s#ck!

I need to come up with some ideas for rainy day activities, just in case. I figure having a list is like having an umbrella...if you have one, it won't rain and we want sunshine-y days

What about schlepping to Murrel's Inlet (sp?) for dinner one night?? We loved it there last time we visited but that was before the girls were born. Do you think that's a good idea with toddlers? Can anyone think of kid friendly restaurants around there?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM

I found an indoor playground in MB. Check out the "summer camp" stuff at Bass Pro Shops too.

I ate at a neat restaurant in MI that I loved. Ate out on the patio (which was just steps away from the boardwalk) and the girls would be fine there. Maybe GoT will remember the name or I'll check an old report. I'm beat so I'm going to bed

Y'all have a blast!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:13 AM

OWJ, here's a few restaurant suggestions for you and the little ones. Copied and pasted from another forum. There is also a Duffy's on Main Street in Ocean Drive.

>>Well, I'm down for a week of fun in the sun all by myself! Talk about heaven. When I got here some friends were here and we went to DUFFY'S SEAFOOD SHACK in Cherry Grove. Very good and great atmosphere. Superior service. Food was excellent. Among the table we had 30 cent shrimp, 60 cent oysters, fried green tomatoes and fried shrimp, oysters and flounder.

I have a hard time getting up the nerve to dine in a restaurant by myself so last night I got take out from THE GRILL HOUSE which is beside Tomlinson's in the Lowe's Shopping Center. Had an earlybird hamburger steak with a very good salad and their homemade potato chips.

For lunch today called up HOSKIN'S on main street and for $7.61 had wonderful lunch of Pork roast, dressing, squash casserole, green beans, biscuit and banana pudding. There's so much that I will have the leftovers for supper tonight.

Right now I am at THE ATLANTA BREAD COMPANY using their free WIFI. This place is in front of the new Walmart where the Home Depot is. Very good bakery and soups and sandwiches and salads. I'll be back here in the morning for coffee and bagel.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:34 AM

You know Murrells Inlet is my stomping ground! I like: Wahoos (outside at Divine Fish House), Creek Ratz, and Russells. They've done such a good job with the Marsh Walk that the kids will be really entertained. With the little ones I think you'd like to sit outside at Creek Ratz. After 9PM they usually have a good band. All ages welcome.

Stop by The Crab Cake Lady and buy some crab cakes to cook at the house. She catches her crab daily and makes the crabcakes. It doesn't get any fresher than that.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:37 AM

Forgot to add, good and cheap is Prossers BBQ in Murrells Inlet. As you drive into the inlet, it is on the right. Buffet only but local shrimp and fish as well as mouth watering southern fare; fried chicken, excellent Q, collards, butter beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, rice, mac and cheese, banana pudding, etc.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM

Creek Ratz.
I ate at Creek Ratz - thanks to GoT's suggestion
The outdoor patio overlooking the boardwalk will be great for the girls.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM

HI GoT! Where is the Crab Cake Lady? In Murrell's Inlet?
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Ok, Creek Ratz is a definite! We had a great dinner at Divine Fish House 3yrs ago--GoT, I think you were the one who suggested that for us.
How do I find your crab cake lady, GoT??

Icee and Starrs ((Hugs)) from us and a couple of sloppy kisses from the girls for all the helpful suggestions.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM

The Crab Cake Lady http://www.thecrabcakelady.com/ is in the old Charlie's on 17 Bypass in Murrells Inlet. It's kind of near the Farmers Market.

You can call them for exact directions (you'd think I'd know given they are down the street from me) because I'm having a brain fart on their location.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Those freezing Icy folks are great, aren't they?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Check out all of the restaurants on http://www.VacationMB.com
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gary and everyone else! In a little over a week, the kids, OWJ2 and I will be beaching it! Can't wait.

If anyone else has ideas of off-the-beach stuff to do with toddlers or dining options with them, we'll be checking back.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM

How's the trip, OWJ
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Trip is great!

The drive here was less than fun--OWJ4 was not a happy traveller so we had to stop after only 3hrs and continue the next AM...but since we got here: Bliss!

AMs at the beach...lunch back at the beach shack... a swim in a pool til the girls nap (and typically us too!)...dinners out (except tonight when we brought in steamed shrimp and lobster from Platt's seafood store in Cherry Grove)...another walk on the beach...maybe some ice cream...and bedtime...

This is heaven--perhaps a bit hotter and steamier than heaven--but close enough.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Sounds heavenly to me, OWJ! I'm glad you & the family are able to have such a wonderful time. It doesn't get any better that this, right! Everybody needs a little icy in their life!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -