Overnight in Miami shere to stay etc.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 07:44 AM
karen

Overnight in Miami shere to stay etc.

Hi: We will be taking a cruise out of Miami and need a place to stay for one night. Any ideas on what we should see or where to eat. We have been to the Bayside Mall but thats as much as we have seen (except the airport and the drive to the cruise terminal).Thanks,Karen

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 10:08 AM
sabrina

Try the Biscayne Marriott. Nice hotel, not far from the airport, beautiful view of Biscayne Bay, 5 mins. from Miami Beach. Good bar too.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 04:28 PM
karen

Thanks Sabrina for the suggestion. Any body else have a great hotel to suggest? Karen

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 04:43 PM
graziella

Hi Karen ,why don t you try South Beach.?
There are a bunch of nice small hotels,
i.e. The Impala, The Tides ( expensive)
the Astor, Leon, Casa Grande,.etc. also some larger ones like the Delano, next to it, the National, and less expensive in that area The Richmond and so forth or if you think you wish to be by the beach in a nice quiet place try Ball Harbor , the Sheraton.
South Beach is where all the action takes place. It is fun to walk by the street and there are hundreds of bars and restaurants, shops etc.
The Marriot is on the bay no beach, no ocean there.
Get the feeling of Miami!, in the Marriot and its bar, you will get the feeling of a Hotel.Period.
E mail me if you have any question.
I guess it depends a lot of what you like.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 04:43 PM
graziella

Hi Karen ,why don t you try South Beach.?
There are a bunch of nice small hotels,
i.e. The Impala, The Tides ( expensive)
the Astor, Leon, Casa Grande,.etc. also some larger ones like the Delano, next to it, the National, and less expensive in that area The Richmond and so forth or if you think you wish to be by the beach in a nice quiet place try Ball Harbor , the Sheraton.
South Beach is where all the action takes place. It is fun to walk by the street and there are hundreds of bars and restaurants, shops etc.
The Marriot is on the bay no beach, no ocean there.
Get the feeling of Miami!, in the Marriot and its bar, you will get the feeling of a Hotel.Period.
E mail me if you have any question.
I guess it depends a lot of what you like.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 05:24 PM
karen

Thanks Graziella for the ideas I will check out the prices of these places. We would like to go to the south beach area but are wondering if we would need to rent a car ect. Are the hotels you mentioned in a safe area and close to places to eat etc.. Thanks Karen

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 05:00 AM
sabrina

With all due respect to the beach suggestions, if you're just staying overnight it would probably make more sense for you to stay in the downtown area. There are other major hotels downtown as well, like the Inter-Continental and a few others that are escaping me. All very nice, all with nice views of the Bay, all close to the beach. Staying downtown you're close to Biscayne Bay, you're close to where you'll be leaving for your cruise (no rushing when you depart) and you're also very close to Miami Beach if you wanted to head there for dinner and some nightlife.

Why not save money on a moderately priced hotel downtown rather than break the bank to stay in overpriced SoBe hotel that you won't even have the time to fully enjoy?

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 07:48 AM
karen

Thanks Sabrina for the input. I saw the Wyndham Miami in a brouchure and thought about checking it out on the internet. I priced the South Beach Hotels and could not believe the prices. We are from just north of Toronto, Canada so I have 50% exchange to deal with too. The Sheraton Bal Harbour was starting at 265. a night no view, that is 400.00 Canadian way to much for my pocket book!Would it be worth it to go to Joes Stone Crab Rest, is it easy to get to from the Bayside area? Thanks Karen

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 09:21 AM
sabrina

Karen,
I think you're headed in the right direction and making a wise decision. I hear the Wyndham is nice as well. Save Sheraton Bal Harbor for next time when you can do some shopping at that fabulous mall. By all means I recommend Joe's for dinner. But be forewarned: It's a bear to get in there unless you grease the maitre'd AND prices are going up because Ms. Hurricane Irene severely diminished the supply of stone crabs. The restaurant is on Miami Beach and is about a 10 min. cab ride from downtown, depending on traffic.

Tuscan Steak is a good restaurant on the Beach. So is Tantra, although it's pretty pricey. If you're interested in trying Haitian food I'd recommend Tap Tap on the Beach. Lincoln Road Mall is teeming with great restaurants and nightlife. Have fun!

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 02:30 PM
karen

Thanks Sabrina and fellow travellers for all the good info. I'm wishing we had more than 24 hrs in Miami. Is there one thing we should make sure we do. We may have our 17 yr old son with us. Don't suggest the beach Trevor has already put that on his list of to do's! Thanks for all the help. PS. Sabrina e-mail directly if you have more valuable info thanks. Karen