overnight in las vegas after Zion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be finishing our trip through Utah at Zion and driving to LV for the last night as we have a flight out from there in the morning. Right now, the flight is at 1130, but we are on the waiting list for a flight at 930. This will be a Monday morning. From what I have read, the traffic is heavy in LV.

Do the Las Vegas experts recommend we stay overnight near the airport in order to avoid traffic problems in the morning? Any recommendations?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:32 AM

I've found getting the airport very easy with little traffic. The traffic issue in Vegas is cruising up and down the strip. If you have to get somewhere, you really only need to travel one block on the strip and then get onto the backroads. Most people on the strip are just "cruisin'". If you want to be closer to the airport, stay at Mandalay Bay/Luxor/Excalibur, Tropicana, MGM or the Hard Rock but I don't think it really matters. I'm often taking a taxi back to my hotel at 7-8AM and it looks like a ghost town.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

How long a ride is it from the strip to the airport?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 02:35 AM

The Strip is 4 miles long with the airport at the bottom end of the Strip.

Your nearest major hotel on the Strip at the bottom end is Mandalay Bay with the Stratosphere at the other end. The answer depends very much on where you plan to stay. I'm not very familiar with the back roads but some other hotels may have easy access to the airport.

If you will have an evening in Vegas, definitely stay on the Strip.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Pretty much all the strip hotels are "near" the airport. Traffic is heavy in 'Vegas, very heavy at times too. For an early flight and the car return scenario I would not stay too far up the strip. Basically tho, it all depends on what you want to spend for one nite. Mandalay Bay and Luxor are close to a/p but can be pricey. Excalibur (not greatest hotel) is also close and alot cheaper. Many hotels have a LONG (and I mean long) walk from parking garages to lobby, factor that in when allowing time in the a.m. as well. The two "back" streets that run more or less parallel to the Strip are Koval and Paradise. There is sometimes construction/road work going on so that can slow you down some too. We have stayed at most of the hotels along the strip over the years but for one nite I do not think it matters too much which one you choose. We were there last week, stayed at Treasure Island this visit, we drove to the a/p about 9:30 a.m. and strip traffic was light. You never know tho. T.I.is very nice by the way (and connected to Mirage by a tram that takes just a minute or two), if you can get a good rate it's an excellent location at mid-strip. For a "middle of the price range kind of place", you might look into Monte Carlo, it's close to a/p too and pretty decent as well.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Not sure what price range you're looking at but the Luxor is one of the best value mid-range hotels on the Strip (and is close to the airport end). You're there a Sunday night which will be cheaper too. Have a look at their website (www.luxor.com) for your date.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Actually, We'll be in Vegas and stay on the strip for 3 nights at the beginning of our trip. Then we're off to the more "natural" wonders, like the grand canyon and southern Utah. We have a flight out of Vegas on the last morning of our trip, so we'll spend the last night in Vegas, but the Vegas sightseeing we'll have already done at the beginning of the trip.
We'll be coming in from Zion, and I have no idea when we'll arrive, so I thought the simplest thing to do would be to stay at a simple motel at the airport. If we get in early enough and want to visit the strip, we have a car and can drive wherever we want.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:59 AM

SSSteve...am just curious about your trip.. we are arriving in Vegas on a Saturday and staying that night at the Hampton Inn near airport since we leave in am for grand canyon...we then have 4 days to go whereever before returning to Vegas to stay 3 nites at Paris before flying home...so, I guess we are doing the reverse trip...we cant decide on Sedona or Zion???
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM

sorry, sssteve! found your trip description on another post...so many people are doing this trip!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

luugis

I don't know if you saw my first itinerary, or the second and current one.

Currently, we are doing LV(2-3 nights)-GC-MOAB-TORREY-BRYCE-ZION AND back to vegas for one night. 2 weeks total.

Why'd you pick the Hampton Inn?