Overnight in Coos Bay or Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking an overnight trip (from Corvallis) to the Wild Animal Park in Winston, OR.
I'm not quite sure where we should spend the evening. We'd like to head to the coast and visit the Sea Lion Caves the next morning.

Does anyone have recommemdations for accommodations in Coos Bay, Florence or any other place along that route?

We will be traveling with a toddler so B&Bs are probably not appropriate. (weekday rate around $100-$150)

I'm also interested in any restaurant tips

I appreciate any advice you have!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM

Coos Bay/North Bend is a decent place to sleep but that's about it. It's kind of an industrial/port town and not directly on the ocean. It is a larger town with perhaps more services than Florence. I've still stayed there a couple of times because it was convenient (e.g. there are several name-brand hotels in the area if you just want to sleep and have points to use or something). Go west to Charleston Harbor and Sunset Bay Park about 20 minutes away and you get to some beautiful beaches/scenery just not directly in Coos Bay. Not a particularly quaint place to stay.

I've never stayed in Florence but I'd guess it's more fun (e.g. sand dunes) than staying in Coos Bay.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 06:16 AM

From Winston, Bandon is a great option--it is a little town with an excellent location on the water. Going north, my other favorite places to stay are Yachats, Newport, and Cannon Beach.

It has been several years since we've stayed in Bandon. If you start a new thread about where to stay and eat in Bandon, you will find others are also enthusiastic about the town.

HTTY
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, Bandon is becoming the Cannon Beach of the south coast. Decent lodgings, decent collection of restaurants, and way more scenic than Coos Bay (or IMO Florence.)

See (smell) the sea lion caves if that's your thing. Personally, oy.

Don't miss the turnoff for the view of the Heceta Head lighthouse, almost next to the caves. It's by far the most-photographed spot on the coast, deservedly.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:05 AM

"See (smell) the sea lion caves if that's your thing. Personally, oy."

Ditto that! What is it now... $10-$11 to go down to the caves? Why, when you can have a much more up-close-and-personal experience with sea lions on the docks in Newport.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:06 AM

In Florence I think the nicest place to stay would be the Driftwood Shores - right on the ocean - expansive beach - there is a restaurant- but have not eaten there for a long time.

There is also a Best Western Pier Pt Inn which is just over the bridge and has river views.
My favorite place to eat in Florence is Travellers Cove - has a variety of choices and the reason I like it really is because there is a deck overlooking the river .

Not familiar with Bandon hotels/motels but it is a cute place - not so fond of Coos Bay
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your quick response. It's wonderful to have tips from people who've been-there-done-that!!

Hmmmm, we were torn between the 2 animal parks (Bandon & Winston). I wonder if we should change it up and just head to the Bandon park. It would be nice to get some beach time in.

How does this sound?
We'll drive to Bandon for the animal park
Overnight in Bandon (I'll search existing posts for tips)
Drive up to the Sea Lion Caves the next morning
Make a stop at Charleston Harbor and Sunset Bay Park along the way
Spend the night in Newport
Drive back to Corvallis

Is there anything else along that Bandon-Newport drive that's worth stopping at? We'll have a toddler in tow so frequent stops will make the drive more enjoyable.

Thanks again...your advice is very much appreciated!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Sounds like a decent plan. Bandon is definitely nicer than Coos Bay. I happen to like Newport though it's larger than Bandon and not all that quaint in parts. Stay near Nye Beach if you can. There are a few view hotels such as the Elizabeth Street Inn, a nice place (for Newport) that is newer but without tons of character. Nearby is the quirky Sylvia Beach Hotel, which is more interesting and book-themed:

http://www.sylviabeachhotel.com

If you are an AAA member, get the AAA Oregon Coast tour map, which breaks out the various coast sites, parks, etc. Very helpful for that stretch between Bandon and Newport!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Oh boy... you are all so helpful!

I started my reply a couple of hours ago and was pulled away by the peanut. I didn't read the other posts by Sunbum and beachbum until now. Wow- you are all so full of great info!!

I just looked at Driftwood Shores and it looks perfect for us.

Perhaps we'll take a picnic by Heceta Head lighthouse instead of visiting the Sea Lion Caves. The brochure looks so tempting but I do have resevations about taking my active toddler into a rocky cave cliff.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it all goes (we're leaving on Monday)
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

...and I'll definitely pick up that AAA map. I keep forgetting to use them as a resource
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Sylvia Beach Hotel is great but not sure how well it would work with toddler - its kind of "bookish" with people sitting around reading and enjoying the quiet.
There is a LOT to see between Bandon and Newport- the sand dunes ( Honeyman State Park); Devils Elbow State park- nice small beach with trail up to lighthouse);Devils Churn - you could be making a lot of stops;
Between Florence and Newport there are 3 motels together you might want to look at- The Fireside, The Adobe and the Overleaf - I usually stay at the Adobe but all 3 are on the ocean, Adobe has a restaurant