Search

Outlets!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlets!!

I wish someone could recommend me the best/biggest outlet in the Boston/Maine area - Wrentham or Kittery?? -, as I'll be visiting from Italy very soon... Unfortunately no good outlets here, even if it's the land of fashion!
Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 02:53 PM

I've not been to Wrentham, but Kittery is very nice! I've been there several times. It's worth the trip.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 02:59 PM

Depends on where you will be - the selection of stores is pretty much the same...Kittery is not a single outlet mall, but rather a bunch of smaller strip malls...all the usual suspects are there...(also Freeport, Maine has all the outlets (and LL Bean) and a bit more New England charm than Kittery, which could be pretty much anywhere)...Wrentham is easier to navigate because you park once and then hit the stores like you would at any suburban mall.

One BIG advantage to Wrentham is that Massachusetts does not charge sales tax on clothing (under some high amout like $200 per item - luxury goods)...in Kittery and in Freeport, you will pay and additional 6% to the state of Maine.

Another option is North Conway, NH. Again all the same stores, no sales tax on anything, and a more scenic place to be...also spread out, but most of the stores are located in a single mega outlet mall.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:20 PM
mma

As another poster said, Wrentham outlets are all together like a big outdoor mall. There is a food court, Ruby Tuesdays and Friendly's restaurants too. It is right off a major highway - I live ten minutes away! Kittery is spread out but nice to visit on the way to Ogunquit or Kennebunkport. It depends on where you are staying and what else you want to do. There isn't much else around Wrentham but it is an easy drive to Boston or Providence. Freeport Maine, as someone mentioned, is fun. LL Bean is huge. Wherever you choose, the shopping will be lots of fun!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:53 PM

Try Worcester Common Outlet Mall in Worcester Massachusettes. Every easy to find...near the exit from highway. Easy to get to. Less than 30 minutes from Boston.

For ambiance, nothing beats Freeport, Maine.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:10 AM

We were at the Kittery Outlets yesterday. Their website is kitteryoutlets.com - you can see what stores are where. The series of outdoor strip malls occupy about a mile - you would need to drive from one to the other.

When you get there you can ask for 2 brochures - a map (available almost everywhere, including the public bathrooms!) and another one kept behind counters that you need to ask for which gives additional savings off at most stores. We only found out about the second one at lunch time - could have saved maybe an additional 10% if we had had it earlier. You just show merchants the brochure and they check off their store. Brochure coupons are good until 12/31/04.

We found some good bargains - it helps a little if you know about how much comparable items are going for in regular stores.

Don't know when you are traveling, but midweek non-summer earlier in the day is a great time to shop - the stores were practically empty.

Have only been to Wrentham once, so can't really compare.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:17 AM
sam

I'd stay away from Worcester Common Outlet Mall, it's a dump, and I'm not even sure if it's open anymore, lots of the stores abandoned the place and it's being sold. Wrentham Outlets are great and easy to access (Exit 15 off Route 495). Kittery is good too, and you may want to try Nashua, NH. Exit 1 just over the Mass. border on Rt. 3 has just about every chain imaginable and no sales tax whatsoever, the Pheasant Lane Mall (indoor), lots of outdoor shopping centers, and they have an L.L. Bean Store too! Whatever you decide, have fun and get lots of bargains!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:40 AM

IMHO, the Wrentham location is far preferable to Kittery. It's right off the highway, much more convenient overall. You don't have to deal with constantly driving from one little strip mall to another, dealing with traffic, parking, etc. With one big location (yes, they also have a map and discount coupons at the information booth, as well as large map signs at the intersections) it's much easier to plan your outing, compare deals between shops, find food and toilet, separate and regroup, etc.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I frequent both and prefer Wrentham. The layout, no need to drive from place to place, and selection is amazing. Plus no tax on clothes is key. Someone mentioned it being ideal to split up and meet up later, and that is so very true, so if you're going with someone who has different shopping habits or needs, that is important.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:48 AM
yk

paolettacc-

I don't know if you have made your trip yet, since you posted your question >2 weeks ago.

Anyhow, here's my 2 cents:

Wrentham and Kittery are not exactly the same. Apart from the fact that the store layouts are different, the shops are a bit different as well. Wrenthem is a tad more upscale than Kittery, but still has the usuals (Banana Republic, Gap, J.Crew etc). Wrenthem also has Barneys outlet, TSE, Burberry, Versace which Kittery doesn't. But coming from Italy, you probably don't care about those. So here are the websites for the 2 outlets and you should look to see which one has most stores that you are likely to visit. I would not recommend the Worcester Outlet Mall. These 2 are much better. Have a good trip!

http://www.thekitteryoutlets.com/
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=10
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Here's another recommendation for North Conway, NH. There are also outlets in Tilton, NH. New Hampshire has NO SALES TAX.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Sorry..Worcester Commons is about to be torn down... Kittery has many stores that Wrentham doesn't have.. Kittery has Coach, Tumi, Ralph Lauren, Brookstones., Crate and Barrel among other shops. In Wrentham they have Abboud, Bombay Furniture and the Pottery Barn. Many people who visit Boston (especialy after the race) head towards Wrentham and end up buying suitcases to take things home..For me..Kittery is you drive up.. go to the little mini strip malls.. park and run into the stores and are in and out. I have a list of designer shops in Wrentham if you'd care to write.. [email protected] We find Wrentham maddening because of the crowded parking lots and having to walk up and down the areas to find the specific shops you want. Freeport, Maine is a favorite of out of staters, and foreign visitors..with all sorts of high end designer outlets..frankly I think most everything up there is overpriced. C harming town (we stayed at a great inn), but I'd rather go to Kittery..
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody, I really evalue all your racoomendations... As I hate to drive in the US, and I have a friend driving me there, I guess HE'll decide which is gonna be the one... I think I'll go for Wrentham, if I'll be able to choose, as those are the kind of stores I'm looking for...
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Well, you have a few choices, Kittery is pretty much a big strip, w/ an outlet town feel. Freeport, Maine has LL Beans, tons of outlets w/ a small town feel. Then there is North Conway, NH which is a good mix. Good luck. My pick would definately be Freeport, ME though.