Search

Outer Banks NC or Wilmington area beaches NC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 06:17 PM
SHL
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Banks NC or Wilmington area beaches NC

Planning a trip to NC coast in late Spring, never been to NC before, have heard good things about both areas, any recommendation will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 06:24 PM
SHL
Original Poster

I forgot to mention in my original message...based on my own research, I would have preferred Wilmington area beaches since Wilmington seems to be a really nice town with some nice restaurants. However, if the beaches are a lot nicer in Outer Banks, then I probably will go with Outer Banks area instead. Again, any recommendation is greatly appriciated.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:16 AM

I suspect there are as many opinions on this as there are posters. I havew been visiting both areas since I was a child.
I love both, but for me Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach is the preferred destination because it is much easier to reach. Wilmington boasts a growing community of great shops and restaurants. Traffic can get congested in the city area. The beach at Wrightsville is a beautiful one and at the north end there is a gorgeous natural protected area. I have posted a couple of trip reports about this area with restaurant suggestions.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:15 AM

How are you getting to NC?

Beaches are great in both places (assuming you mean Duck - Hatteras for Outerbanks). Wilmington will offer more city things to do than obx. Also, several gardens, the USS North Carolina and river cruises.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:28 AM

I've been going to Topsail Beach for nearly forty years. Thirty miles northeast of Wilmington. I recommend it.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM

I think the Wilmington area beaches are better swimming beaches than the Outer Banks - it's been a good while since my OB trips, but I used to go to Hatteras every spring break, and it was cool, rough and windy there at that time. I'm with GeorgeW on Topsail being a great spot.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:34 AM

We have a house on the OBX and I would agree that at this time of year you might be better nearer Wilmington in terms of swimming, etc.

Although the beaches themselves nearer Wilmington may not be quite as "pristine" as those along the National Seashore you'll probably find more to do, besides beachtime, in the Wilmington environs.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:11 AM

Depends what you are looking for besides beaches. Wilmington and proximity have restaurants and the appointments of city life. However, Travel magazine rated Ocracoke beach #3 in the US. Ocracoke is remote (access by ferry only). It is a quaint, fishing village. There are unique shops and restaurants. A laid back atmosphere. Highly recommended
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
SHL
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for providing me with valuable information. I think we will choose Wilmington area beaches this time.

Thanks again!!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM
bonniebroad

SHL, I think you will love Wilmington and surrounds. I never tire of going there. We stay at the Residence Inn Wrightsville Beach, rather than right on the beach .. because we have a pet with us. It's a really neat area to visit ... great restaurants, river cruises, beautiful Wrightsville Beach, and, if you have anybody who's intrigued by snakes, be sure to visit the Serpentarium in Wilmington. I humored my (grown) son, going there, and then was fascinated! Have a wonderful trip!

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:02 AM

bonniebroad, thank you for the recommendation of the snake house near the Wilmington waterfront. I will take my children there this year.