Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Outer Banks drive starting from Nags Head.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2021, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the Outer Banks in late March for 2 1/2 days staying in Nags Head. I’m stumped on how to cover the entire byway over our two full days when we have to start in the middle. And where does Beaufort come in? Is that worth a stop? I would appreciate any help/input fellow travelers can provide.
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 10:06 AM

Here's a map. I don't know how Beaufort fits in either.

Old Mar 6th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Apparently Beaufort is a cool little town that some people add at the end of the Outer Banks drive but based on your map it looks too far for us to fit in. Too bad but thanks for sharing.

We also thought maybe we can come into Nags Head from I58 I think it is, explore Nags Head from our arrival at lunch time and the rest of the day and then start at Corolla (or Cutterick) the next morning and split the route to cover the two days. Second day start af Nags Head or Bodie Island ? Can we get to Okracoke that same day or would we be rushed to do so?
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 02:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The North Carolina ferries are still running. The ferries are free to get to Okracoke. The ferry from Okracoke to Cedar Island is $15 for a car (make a reservation). The crossing from Ocracoke to Cedar island is about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Be sure to see the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. It was moved several hundred feet to keep it from falling into the ocean.