outer banks avon

Mar 14th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

outer banks avon

I rented an oceanfront house on the outer banks in kinnakeet shores at avon. I am curious about the beaches in this area. Can anyone help?

Also, coming from the midwest, is it quicker to enter the obx from the portsmouth area or the raleigh-manteo area. Trying to pick the best route.

shartrip
Mar 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Beaches are beautiful and wide. I can't help with the Raleigh-Manteo route as I have never gone that way. However, in summer, traffic from Portsmouth down can be really horrendous.
Mar 27th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Avon is a quiet area and the beaches are usually uncrowded and clean, depending on the season. The beaches do not have the soft, white sand you may be used to in other areas, but they are beautiful. The surf is always a little rough in the Outer Banks so be careful. There are no life guards in most of the areas on the Outer Banks. I've stayed in Avon and Rodanthe in the past, and both areas are great for relaxing. I prefer the South Nags Head area myself because I like to be near the more popular restaurants and activities.
Mar 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Avon is my favorite place to go. It is away from the hustle of nagshead/kitty hawk, but close to a small shopping district. (The only grocery store in hatteras is in avon - food lion). Also, has a few restaurants and a movie theatre. the swimming pool at kinnakeet shores is very nice, and usually practically empty.

The beach is very nice, and you can have beach fires at night (not permitted in nags head area).
surf can be rough at times. but you are also close to the bay up the street which is popular with swimmers & kite surfers.
Only warning - don't swim near dusk particularly near the pier
Have a great Week!!!
Apr 6th, 2005, 01:35 PM

The beaches are wonderful and uncrowded. It was a rough winter this year, and there was some beach erosion in front of the kinnakeet beach club and avon pier area. But you should still have plenty of room to enjoy yourself.

I drive every year from Louisville KY, and take 64 east to 664 to 158 - just follow the signs to Nags Head. We've tried the NC route in the past and found it to be much slower.

If you like scenic routes, you can take 64 to 77 south in WVA and then take 460 from Blacksburg VA into Va Beach. 460 is mostly 4 lande divided highway, but does go through towns. That route takes you by my favorite place in the world: the Virginia Diner in Wakefield VA.