Alternatives to the Outer Banks

Jun 30th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Alternatives to the Outer Banks

We're just back from a week on the Outer Banks. We really love the beaches and the houses are so beautiful. We rented an oceanfront house w/ a pool and private walkway to the beach, can't beat it! However, the traffic is horrendous and it's a bit of a drive from our Northern NJ home. Does anyone know of any other great family friendly beach towns (on the east coast)that have the great rental properties? Many thanks!
Jun 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Virginia Beach, Rehoboth, Dewey Beach, Bethany Beach, Fenwick Island.

Might depend on what route you actually took to the beach and the time of day/day of the week.

Jun 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM

All of the beaches Dukey listed are very nice. You can look at the Sandbridge section of VA Beach for an experience a little more like the Outer Banks than the boardwalk area.

I prefer the Jersey beaches to the Outer Banks and drive up there from Williamsburg. LOL
Jun 30th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Dukey is correct about Rehoboth, Dewey and Bethany. Life is full of sacrifices to get what you want. I enjoy the southern North Carolina beaches, which are a ten hour one-way drive for my family and me. For most people, that's too far a drive. To me, it's an adventure.
Jun 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM

George W ~ do you have a favorite beach in southern North Carolina?
We're planning a trip that way in March, 2009. Haven't picked our beach spot yet!

Serendipity42
Jun 30th, 2008, 03:26 PM

When I was a kid we stayed in a big beach house rental with my cousins in Long Beach NC. Very family friendly and quiet. I know it got mostly wiped out, and then rebuilt after Floyd so everything should be fairly new. My cousins still go there and love it.
Jun 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Try the Brunswick Islands in NC. www.ncbrunswick.com. There is something in that chain for everyone. From very little/fewer people & 'stuff' - Holden Beach. To a more lived in/on island community - Oak Island. Cheaper than OBX as well.

Jun 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM

This is a great thread. I love the Outer Banks, but I must admit I sure loved it a whole lot more 20 years ago. LOL

I often wonder if there are places like OBX used to be, you know, pre-Wal Mart, pre-McMansions, pre-everything built up, pre-bumper to bumper traffic, etc.

Jul 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Holden Beach, NC has very little commercial on the island & is relegated to mostly single-family houses. There are a few condos but probably not more than 4 or 5 sets on the island, & they are smallish (20 units tops). They have pretty stringent building requirements (including height restrictions) and the island is still run (to some degree) by the Holden family & their interests. So you have a couple of small grocery stores (2/3 aisles wide), a couple of ice cream shops, a pizza shop/deli, probably 5 realty offices, rental shop for bikes & such & a restaurant attached to the fish shop under the bridge. That, is about it.

Jul 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM

I have been vacationing at Topsail Island, North Carolina for forty years now, since I was a boy of eight. I very much love the place. As I don't want to duplicate what I've written about the place in the past, you may want to try a fodor's search on Topsail if you're considering a NC beach resort to vacation.
Jul 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM
Cassandra

madana, am I right in thinking the object of this post was to find a beach town CLOSER to you than the OBX?

Jul 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Cassandra, while the NC info is great, I was hoping to find something similar to OBX closer to NJ. I've never been a fan of the NJ shore, but maybe that's b/c I grew up going to Long Island beaches! Things we like about OBX: family friendliness, beautiful houses (yes, the mcmansions are plentiful but they're soooo nice to stay in for a big group), proximity to the beach. Things we don't like: long trip from our NJ home, traffic!
I'm going to look into the DE towns, does anyone know of any NJ or MD towns that aren't too cheesy (think Ocean City and Wildwood). Or even in New England? Martha's Vineyard is great but we never have great weather when we're there, even in the summer.
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:23 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Depending on where you visited in OBX, many of the other NC beaches may actually be quicker to get to.