Search

Outer Banks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Banks

Our family (incl. 15 yr. old & 13 yr. old) is planning a trip to N. and S. Carolina this summer. We would like to spend several days on the Outer Banks. Any suggestions as to which areas would be best, and specific hotels, inns, etc.?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:11 PM

The Outer Banks is not a hotel/inn location. The rentals are primarily homes with multiple bedrooms. Nags Head and Kitty Hawk are a little more "honky tonk" and the areas of Duck and Corolla are more family oriented. It may be hard to spend a few days on the Outer Banks in the summer because most rentals are week to week. There are a few hotels in Nags Head that could accomodate your needs. NOt sure what they are.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:23 PM

I'd rent a vacation home rather than staying at a hotel if I were you, but you'd better reserve soon as the good places book up quickly. We reserved through www.outerbeaches.com. You might also try www.twiddy.com or www.carolinadesigns.com. There are others but I can't remember them at the moment.

Duck and Corolla are more upscale areas (Northern end) where the development seems a bit more controlled but there is still plenty to do. Most properties here are beautiful and new but they can be pricey. The beaches in Duck are more narrow than most. North of Corolla the beach is opened up to 4WD vehicles. If you have the chance, do an ATV tour of this area and see the wild horses.

Kitty Hawk, Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills are all heavily developed and commercialized so be prepared for crowds and traffic. This area has tons of bars, restaurants, surf shops, mini-golf courses, etc. There is also hang-gliding off the dunes.

Hatteras Island is the area to the South (including towns of Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Hatteras and Buxton) where things are a bit quieter and more removed from the "action." If your primary goal is just to spend time with family on the beach this might be the place for you. The buildings on Hatteras Island felt a little more tired and run-down to us, but we relished the relative peace and quiet. Hatteras Village is home to the famous Cape Hatteras lighthouse.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:27 PM

Oops--I messed up. I think the Hatteras lighthouse is in Buxton, not Hatteras Village. Still a must-see, nonetheless.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 05:26 PM

When we go to the Outer Banks for just a few days, we usually stay at the Best Western Ocean Reef Suites. The hotel is on milepost 8 1/2, which is in Kill Devil Hills (right between Kitty Hawk and Nags Head). The rooms are in a suite arrangement, the hotel is right on the beach, and its very close to lots of great restaurants. If you are staying longer, I agree with the other posters that you should rent a house. An alternative to the Corolla/Duck area is South Nags Head (between mileposts 17 and 21). Like Corolla/Duck, the houses are a little nicer and there are no "tacky tourist places". An advantage over Corolla/Duck is that you are closer to the "action" if you want to get out and have a little fun.

By the way, don't miss the ATV tour up in Corolla. Its a little expensive ($100 per ATV), but worth every penny!

I have been going to the Outer Banks every year for almost 30 years (and I'm only 40!) and I still love the place. Hope you have a great time!

Dave