Kauai in November - Recommendations??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad, sister and I are planning 10 days in Kauai in November and would love some recommendations on experiences not to miss while there.
I'm researching and gathering a list but would love to hear favorite's from Fodorite's (who've never let me down!)
We are also big foodies and would love any amazing restaurant experiences. We'll be celebrating my dad's birthday while there if there's a special place to be recommended for that as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Kal

Alohaaa to you and my Kauai Fodors ohana!

Where are you staying?

We usually stay on the CocCoast (Wailua/Kapaa area).
Love Jean Marie Josselin's JO2 in Kapaa.
Ditto Hukilau Lanai.

For good views and good food Oasis and The Bullshed. (good steaks and sometimes you have to close the windows because the sea spray comes in because you are right on the ocean.

Kintaros for sushi, sashimi, teppanyaki etc.

For good seafood but not too much ambiance, Sleeping Giants Grill. Used to be Kileuea Fish Market.

In Koloatown, La Spezia.

If you take a ride to Polihale or Waimea Canyon, a stop at Kalaheo Cafe is a good way to start the day.
Our fave underrated hike is The Sleeping Giant in Kapaa. Hike Da Big Guy then go cool off at Olympic Cafe with Bloody Mary and watch the Kapaa traffic jam below you while looking the The Sleeping Giant and King Kong. Or hit Java Kai for some good coffee, baked goods and a darn good beet juice,,,,and see the traffic jam up close.

Loved the ATV tours we have taken, esp the one that takes you thru a mountain and you come out where they filmed Jurassic Park. Never did a zip line or take the old irrigation ditch float but local pals say they are still fun. .

did a helicopter 2x. Once before Hurricane Iniki and the one after to see the diff.

Anybody go to The Beach House since Merriman's took it over?
Mucho mahalos!

Last edited by Kal; Aug 6th, 2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: misspellings
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 01:25 PM

One of my favorite things is a boat tour of the Na Pali coast, have taken at least 6 times or more. That time of year they will only be leaving from the west shore, north shore tours usually stop around October.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 01:38 PM

We always stay in the Poipu area, and I have lots of restaurant recommendations in that area. So do let us know where you will be staying so we can make good recommendations for you.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendations so far! Kal, that's a great list - thank you!!
Yes, the location would be helpful! We will be staying at the St Regis in Princeville (?) so it looks like it's directly across the island from Poipu and 40 mins from Wailua. We are definitely up for traveling for a special meal! But would also love some recommendations near our hotel if anyone knows that area.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Kal

Mahalo!

We liked Tiki Inki up in P'ville Ctr. Also liked Tahiti Nui for pupus and ice cold beer. They also have a Puka Dog and Chicken in a Barrel location in Ching Young Plaza in Hanalei if they have reopened.

Forgot to add if you like beer and go to the Westside to Polihale or Waiema Canyon/Kalalau Lookout Kauai Brewing Co in Port Allen is pretty good and good pub grub. Nui nachos! Also, Kauai Chocolate Co is right across the street.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 12:25 PM

I live in Princeville, but I am not a foodie. Friends who are SERIOUS about food (she has attended culinary school) loved the farm-to-table unique experience of Kauai Ono: Kauai Ono Catering and Farm to Table Restaurant . They also enjoyed the north shore food tour. I like Tiki Iniki, but my friends thought the food was too salty.

Kal: FYI, when I hiked Sleeping Giant there was a section that seemed quite dangerous to me. A few weeks ago, a 24-year old local was killed on that hike. My fave hike (besides the Canyon Trail in Koke'e/Waimea Canyon) is the Kuilau Trail inland in Kapaa. I also like Mola'a. On the south side I love the Maha'ulepu trail.

My fave breakfast is the pancakes at Country Kitchen in Kapaa. My fave "local" meal is Hamura's Saimin in Lihue. I've heard great things about Japanese Grandma's Cafe. It is on the west side, but you could combine it with a trip to Waimea Canyon, which is not to be missed. I've also heard raves about Hukilau in Kapaa.

You'll have an amazing time. The St. Regis is so beautiful.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 02:44 PM

We enjoyed our lunch at Grandma's Cafe in Hanapepe. Friends who were with us and are Japanese food lovers thought it was fabulous. The Poipu area has lots of nice restaurants. I like 1849 Eating House. The best dinner with a view on the island is at The Beach House.

Enjoy Kauai!
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

These are such great recommendations, thank you all! Songdoc, Kauai Ono looks amazing, right up our alley! And Kathie, thank you for the Beach House recommendation with the view!