Outer Banks

Aug 12th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Outer Banks

Hi! My mom and I do an annual beach trip and my husband and I like to haul a motorcycle and do some exploring on our vacations. Having a hard time planning either trip this year with the fires and smoke effecting my Northwest coast possibilities and red tide on my favorite parts of the Florida coast.

We love SC and Michigan, etc. but wouldn’t mind seeing something new. We haven’t been to Outer Banks and I know some love it. I was looking for posts/threads on the Outer Banks but couldn’t find much. I would appreciate any info, advice, central locations to stay? Nicest places to stay? Road excursions not to miss? Restaurants to try? I remember they had destructive weather years back. That’s really all I know. I appreciate any advice or recommendations. It would be only 3 weeks from now, the week of Labor Day. I usually try to find a rental but once again, we’re open! Thank you!!
Aug 12th, 2018, 01:12 PM

There are MANY rental agencies for the OBX as well as a bunch of hotels. The "which part to stay on" is the controversial part for some people. Folks will say you have to stay north of and not anywhere IN Nags Head; others love that section and still others will tell you that you have to stay somewhere like Ocracoke or at least south of Whalebone Junction.

You might start by going to www.obx.com and looking for information there.

Then there's "the season" which for many starts on Memorial Day and ends on Labor Day BUT plenty of people go after Labor Day (cheaper rentals) although storm season peaks in September but the water sometimes is warmer and the place is a lot less crowded.

As to having had "destructive weather" that is always a possibility although so far the Atlantic Basin has been pretty quiet. We used ro rent houses on the Banks every year and several times over a long period we were forced to evacuate but it is a chance one takes and you should NEVER rent there without taking the insurance...ever.

For rental agencies look at these to start:
www.sunrealtync. com
www.outerbeaches.com
www.carolinadesigns.com

But remember there are MANY others

Search this Thread