Outdoor fun in So Cal - suggestions

Mar 9th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Outdoor fun in So Cal - suggestions

We've been going to Sunriver for short driving vacations from our home in the Bay Area. This April we have a week off but we figured it's still too cold in Oregon to do all the outdoor activities in comfort for us. Are there places within driving distance from the Bay Area that offer golf, fishing, horseback riding, rafting in a luxury resort setting? Where daytime temperature will be in the high 60's/low 70's and nighttime low in the 50's?
Mar 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
lvk

The only thing that comes to mind is Alisal Ranch, near Santa Barbara. www.alisal.com No rafting, though. Weather is unpredictible, but most likely in the low-mid 60's.
Mar 9th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The place look nice. Although a few things make me want to take my time considering it... no TV, pricey, and the room rates include breakfasts and dinners ==> No town around it?

Anything else? how about Indian Wells resort?
Mar 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
lvk

Well, your request was for "luxury resort setting"!! In my experience, those are usually pretty pricey.

Alisal is near the town of Solvang, a Danish village. It is also within the Santa Ynez valley wine region. I'm not sure if the website states this, but the dress code for dinner requires jackets for men and boys. (This was the dealbreaker for my husband)

El Capitan Canyon is a slightly more rustic option.
www.elcapitancanyon.com

I don't know of any rafting or fishing near Indian Wells. It is in the desert, with no rivers or ocean close by. Lots and lots of golf and tennis, though. I'm sure there is a horseback riding outfit near there. Plenty of hiking opportunities, too. The weather would definitely be warmer.

Hopefully someone will chime in with suggestions in Southern Cal. that meet all of your criteria. I'm thinking that you might need to head to Arizona.
Mar 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

You are right, luxury resort in Santa Barbara = pricey? What was I thinking? :-0

Actually I think their rates include the meals.

Totally agree with your husband regarding dinner jacket. Last 2 times I pulled mine out were for a wedding and a funeral. And no TV? How do I follow my local hoops team?

We'll be going with our 14 year old son, hence the outdoorsy angle. If it were me and my wife, we'd do the wine country.

Any additional idea from anyone else is welcome.