Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please Help Me Choose - Blakely or Hotel Metro, New York?

Feb 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to decide between the Blakely Hotel or the Hotel Metro in NYC for my family of 4 this summer and would love advice. We need three beds as my children are getting too big to share a bed.

The Blakely has a one bedroom suite with 2 double beds, a daybed in the living room and a kitchenette. The rate is $405/night and breakfast is not included. We don't mind sharing a room with one of our children.

The Hotel Metro has a family suite - 2 bedrooms, one with a Queen bed and one with 2 doubles. There is no kitchenette but a continental breakfast is included. The rate is $375/night.

Is one hotel in a better area than the other? We would like to be in a nice area with restaurants and easy subway access.

Thank you for your help!
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM

The Blakely is a good choice for families...a short walk to Central Park, Broadway, the Metro, and the Burger Joint at Parker Meridian.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Hotel Metro.
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

I probably should have mentioned the addresses: the Hotel Metro is at 45 West 35th Street and the Blakely is at 136 West 55th Street.

Thanks again!
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I think the Blakely is the better location, and a kitchenette is really handy, especially with kids.
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM

Hmmmm, since both include breakfast how much will you really use the kitchenette? Will you get $30 a day use of it? Do you really need it? Will you buy groceries and cook? Or would you use it for snacks - and will you be in the room for snack or will you be out and about? If you really don't need the kitchen I would take the Metro for a lower price and the 2 separate bedrooms. The location is fine- the Blakely is in a more upscale area but there is nothing wrong where the Metro is, you would be in a safe area. We recently stayed a few blocks south of the Metro and while it is a little bland atmosphere-wise it works well as a base for sightseeing.
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM

The Blakely is a nicer hotel in a nicer area nearer to a lot of "go to" places like Times Square, Fifth ave. and Central Park. The Metro is perfectly decent hotel but near Madison Square Garden/Penn station which is more commercial. Good subway access but not a lot of decent restaurants nearby. Getting in a cab or subway to another neighborhood to eat is common practice though.

I wonder why you're not considering any of the Affinia.com hotels? The Affinia Dumont has some 1 bedroom suites with 2 queen beds and a sofabed and is in a nice area due east of the Metro. The Shelburne Murray Hill is also in a good location and should have suites with 2 beds and a sofabed.
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. You've given me lots to think about.

mclaurie, the Affinia Dumond sounded nice but doesn't have a room available. Do you like the area of the Shelburne Murray Hill?
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:04 AM

The Shelburne is not far from Grand Central terminal. It wouldn't be my first choice location, but I think it's a lot nicer than the location of the Metro and it's convenient. The hotel was a bit tired looking though and I'd heard they were going to renovate. Looking on the website, it looks like they did the lobby but not sure about the rooms. I'd check that out.
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help!
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Based on McLaurie's recommendation two years ago for Easter Spring Break, we stayed at the Blakely with our two children (ages 10 and 15 at the time) and absolutely LOVED it. There are several suites with two queen beds which we requested. Our daughter slept on one of the queen beds and the daybed was perfect for our son. There are nice televisions in both rooms. I truly think the kitchenette is a must. Many times we would bring back leftovers from restaurants, put them in the frig., and reheat them in the microwave the next day. Our children tire fairly easily and it was so nice to be able to stay in a few nights. In fact, there are several wonderful ethnic (pizza, etc.) restaurants nearly where you can pick up food or they will deliver to your door at the Blakely. There is also a small grocery store nearby where we bought milk, drinks, cereal, snacks, etc. Food is so expensive in NYC.

I'm a nervous nellie type, especially in a big city with children. The Blakely is an old apartment house which was converted to a hotel so there are not many rooms on each floor. (The updated bathroom is very large.) The staff learned all of our names within a few hours and I felt very comfortable letting our children go down to the lobby to use their computer. We also let our daughter babysit two nights while we went out to dinner across the street. I never would have even considered this in a large hotel setting. With cell phones, the location of the Blakely and its staff, we felt very comfortable and were able to have several wonderful "dates".

The Concierge services were great too, securing dinner reservations, etc. The desk staff taught us how to ride the subway which was a wonderful experience.

I don't know how old your children are but one of our favorites things was the walking food tour of the Village that my daughter and I took one afternoon while the boys went on a Yankee stadium tour. www.foodsofny.com (I think that's the website.)

Enjoy this special adventure. We're still talking about ours.
Feb 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

DownSouth,

You must have read my mind. I think we're likely to go with the Blakely (or perhaps the Salisbury -- a new addition to the mix). I just posted a question last night about walking tours as I'd heard about a food tour of the Village. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay so much --we're really looking forward to our trip.
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM

The Salisbury has very large rooms and is in a good location near Central Park, but it's not nearly as nice as the Blakely. The decor is pretty tired and it's much larger so the service is not nearly as personal.
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mclaurie for your advice. The Salisbury is $120/night cheaper ($285/night for a one bedroom suite) than the Blakely so I'm a bit torn between the two. We do like our creature comforts but, given that we're thinking of staying 5 nights, the price difference does add up. Any thoughts?
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM

As long as you go into it with eyes open, the Salisbury is great. In fact, for a summer trip, it might be better. Someone,I think on this board, complained last summer that the 1 bedroom suites at the Blakely had insufficient a/c . But I didn't want you to think it was equivalent to the Blakely. Furnishings in the Salisbury look like Grandma's stuff but it's clean, big rooms and good location. They also offer a $3/person breakfast.

It's not the kind of place where I would feel comfortable leaving the kids alone in the room like DownSouth did at the Blakely. I'm not saying it isn't safe, it's just much bigger and the level of service is not the same.
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Hmm, lots to consider.

Thanks mclaurie for all your advice. I do feel I have a pretty good feel for both places now so it will probably come down to a careful look at the budget. I am delighted to have such good choices and really appreciate all the help.

Oh, I'm getting excited!
Mar 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM
TC

I'm the person who stayed at the Blakely last summer and mentined the under-powered a/c. It was a little annoying. Having said that, I do love the Blakely and would stay again. There is a great (cheap) breakfast place just across the street where you can get nearly anything "to go". We use that a lot.

Just to add to the confusion though, I also like the DoubleTree Suites. Their one-bedrooms have a king or two doubles in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the living. The baths are much bigger than the Blakely and the "kitchenette" area has a sink and large mirror so can be pressed into service as a make-up are as well. The bath has two sinks. Good location in Times Square for theater or subway access.