Reload this Page >

Our 1st Hol in Florida @ Homosassa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Jim Simpson

My wife and I are coming over from England for a 2 week holiday during the last 2 weeks in September. What should we try to see on day trips from Homosassa. Any advice on attractions/ restaurants would be gratefully received. We are not into theme parks but rather enjoy the local culture and food. What sort of distances could we reasonably cover in a day.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:54 AM
OliveOyl

Jim, I believe you posted this question a week or so ago. I answered then and wonder if you saw the response? Homosassa is so far away from everything that people come to FL for. Your closest decent beach, even, will be Clearwater, about 50 miles away, and a hard drive at that. The strip from Clearwater to St. Pete Beach is also the area where most of the attractions and restaurants are. It'd be one heck of a daily drive! Check for the other post (in the text search box above under Homosasa), if you missed that response, as I covered the whys and wherefores more fully. If you did see it, and still feel Homosassa fits your needs, let me know.

We live in the Tampa Bay area and take occasional day trips to Homosassa, but exhaust our reasons for visiting that area in the day we are there...one cute Victorian restaurant, the river, the manatees. The majority of the activities are down here, and it's truly not a drive you want to make on a daily basis!

Did you find this villa through the time share magazine that circulates in England, by chance? I ask because there have been some strange referrals from the UK to places that are true "hard sells", and as it turned out, they had come from one particular magazine.

If you want this type of area, fine, but I do want you to know what you are getting into!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 01:35 PM
cece

Go to the Homosassa State Park to see the Manatees.

Head over to Tarpon Springs which is a Greek sponge fishing community. Eat at Hella's. They have great grouper and scallop dishes. Get some greek desserts from their bakery to take back to your hotel for a late night snack.

Go to St. Petersburg to the Salvador Dali Musuem.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 02:11 PM
Jen

Another vote for the Springs and also Crystal River. Tarpon Springs is not too far either and a great place to visit. You will be within 30-40 minutes of Ocala as well which has some nice shopping.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Jane

Drive east on state road 44 and spend the morning near DeLand.First, when you get to DeLand go north on Highway 17 to DeLeon Springs, go to the springs and have a wonderful pancake breakfast in the park at the Old Spanish sugermill. Go for a boat tour from there, then swim in the refreshing water of the springs( F 72 year round). Head back into DeLand and have lunch downtown at Sisters,and then visit the antique stores, walk around the campus of Stetson University, visit the Guillespie mineral and rock museum, and head back on 44, stopping for dinner at the Showboat on the St. John's river. It's about 1-2 hours to DeLand from Homosassa. I do agree somewhat with other posters about there only being a couple of days at best of things to do in that immediate area, but that maybe what you have in mind-doing nothing. If it's not too late to change or you want more suggestions,let me know.
Enjoy your trip here.
Jane