Orlando- non Disney options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 4 days to spend after our Disney cruise in Oct. Kids are 3,7. Since we just spent time in the Southern CA theme park and will be on the cruise for 4 days, DH and I are thinking non-Disney related 4 days would be nice. Aside from the Space Center, what are other options? We thought about driving to Miami or the Keys or the Everglades. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 02:49 AM

If you haven't done Disney in Florida it is far far different than California. You could skip The Magic Kingdom, but the two waterparks, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM are all really good as well. Everglades, Keyes, and Space Center are great--just not sure how much a 3 year old would get from it though. Do consider spending most of a day at a waterpark, they are fantastic.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Why not Space Center/Cape Canaveral? Wonderful exhibits, displays for young and old. Along Atlantic coast are other things related to nature, oceanic habitat. Our daughter lives just N. of Melbourne...volunteers in Brevard County Zoo which is excellent...you can be nose to nose with a giraffe!

In another direction we loved state parks with manatees. And then you have St. Augustine which is so historic.

Bill in Boston

[email protected]
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 06:20 AM

I'll agree with Ozarksbill - I'd stick around the central Florida area. The Brevard County area (where your cruise ship docks) has many natural attractions (Canaveral National Seashore, Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge - http://www.nps.gov/cana/ http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/ ) and as Ozarksbill noted above, Kennedy Space Center and the Brevard Zoo - your children are the perfect age for the zoo's play area; hint: bring a swimsuit. (http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/ http://brevardzoo.org/explore )

St. Augustine offers plenty of historic sites including the Castillo San Marcos, and the area has some very nice low-key beaches. http://www.getaway4florida.com/
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Sea world is also very much worth a visit.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:14 AM

You will have a great time! I went on a cruise last year and it was fabulous! As far as other things to do in the Orlando area aside from Disney here is a great site that I use to plan a lot of my trips. There is a travel guide section that covers many things to do in Orlando from attractions to restaurants and everything in between.

www.colorfulplaces.com/bluegreen-resorts

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 07:15 AM

There's a lot you can do in the Orlando area. I lived there for four years so I know a good amount. If you like the Zoo's then the Brevard zoo or Sanford zoo are great options. The sanford zoo offers zip-lining and obstable courses as well as the habitats.

The Orlando science museum is a great place for kids, you can also eat inside so it's convenient for the children. but the other parks like sea world, and the water parks, including wet and wild, as well as all the outlet malls and regular malls provide a lot of different entertainment avenues for you and your family.

St. Augustine is another great option. Only about an hour and a half away, compared to the 4.5 hours to Miami will be much easier for you with the kids. You can sopend an easy 2-3 days there and then head down to the space centers if you want after.