Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fun things to do in Orlando/Kissimmee area - beyond Disney attractions

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are joining my parents at their timeshare in the Kissimmee area. We are spending one day at Disney and another at the Disney town Celebration. If you have suggestions on something fun that is un-Disney to make things more well-rounded, we'd love your suggestions!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM

An airboat ride is as un-Disney as you can get. Most visitors to Florida find airboat rides a unique Florida experience.

Closest to the Disney/Universal Studios area is Boggy Creek Airboats <http://www.bcairboats.com/>. Their boats are large and they cater to the tourist trade. They do a decent job though.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM

I'm not sure if you mean un-Disney or un-theme park....but Sea World is lots of fun. Not quite a whole day so you could still get in shopping or a nice dinner in the evening!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM

I don't know what you can possibly do for more than an hour or two in Celebration - but I agree with the Sea World suggestion. It was always my favorite park.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:05 PM

Sea world is always a highlight of our Orlando trips. We also enjoy the campy fun of Gatorland. They are both theme parks, though!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM

capones dinner theater was alot of fun.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM

I don't know your ages or interests, season of visit, etc. but if you enjoy outdoor activities you might consider canoeing on a Florida river.

Wekiwa Springs State Park is about 35 - 40 miles from Kissimmee. It has a natural springs that you can swim in and a lazy river where you can see fish, birds, turtles, and alligators. They rent canoes at the park. You do not need to have any prior canoeing skills, the water is like a lake.

It really is beautiful and amazing to glide silently through Spanish moss-hung trees and see a big alligator sunning itself on a log just a few feet away and then see it sink silently below the water as you go by. The water birds are fascinating, the fish and turtles fun to watch, and the water hyacinths and trees are lovely too.

Here's a picture (that doesn't begin to do it justice)

http://www.answers.com/topic/wekiwa-run-jpg

Depending on season, day of week, and how far you paddle, you will see other canoers - or not. You truly will feel like you're in a REAL jungle. It sure beat the artificial "adventures" at Disney for my family!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM

There is also Blue Springs Park,a state park, about 30 minutes north of downtown Orlando. It is where the manatees come in. There are walking paths along the springs and a great view of the springs. They had record numbers there last week, over 190 counted!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM

A vote for Sea World from this native Floridian. I live 3 hrs south of Orlando and have family there. If we have extra time in Orlando, we go to Sea World.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM

The Kennedy Space Center is about an hour from Orlando. It's nice to go see the history of the space program. And it's the only NASA space center that is open to the public.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM

I haven't read all these posts, so forgive, if I repeat. There is some good guide fishing in the Kissimee area ( airboats are used ).

We went to see a space shuttle lift off. Maybe tour the Space Center (we had already done so in Huntsville, so didn't do the one at the Cape).

Also, we rode down to Busch Gardens for a day and also did the Cypress Springs tour (different days).

On the way home we did the glassbottom boats at Silver Springs and toured the Bear Museum (archery forefather) in Gainesville.

These were more than one trip.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM

If you are there in season you could always go to a baseball spring training day.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Check this out for some ideas www.floridasparadisevilla.com/attractions.htm . Gatorland is kind fun. It is sort of a 1950's kind of place. I know they had a fire there a couple of month ago, but I think that they have reopened.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Just found these recent pictures of Gatorland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1346613
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM

We loved the Morse Musuem in Winter Park that has a wonderful collection of Tiffany glass. There is also a small boat ride there that goes between several lakes, as well as nice shopping.

The other extreme that we liked was Cape Cananval National Seashore and wild life refuge.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:00 PM

FOREVER FLORIDA, see their website, ride on horseback or in a big swamp buggy jeep looking thing for an echo tour through the real Florida.

Take a ride down the St. Johns River on a pontoon boat, departs 2x daily from Highbanks Marina in Debary FL.
OR try Daytona Beach, just an hour from Orlando.

Visit downtown Orlando and walk around Lake Eola or ride one of the swan boats.