Search

Orlando/end of may?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:58 AM
yankee

Orlando/end of may?

My husband will be attending a conference in WDW the third week in May. We would like to bring our daughters for a short family vacation. My question is - what is the last week of school for Fl children? I'm hoping that by going down 5/16 or so, we would be avoiding the major crowds. We have been to WDW many times. Thanks

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 09:29 AM
dena

Hi Yankee:
The answer to your question is that in Florida, schools are governed by the county. Therefore, there is no one specific date when all the schools are out, each individual county determines it's own beginning and ending dates. In South Fla, where I live, the kids get out mid June or so. But this also varies with private schools as well. You should be pretty safe in mid-May, but I do think that Palm Beach county gets out sometime in May, as they started their school year earlier then Dade County. Hope this helps! Have fun in WDW!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Lenore

The previous poster is right about variances within the state. It's a pretty safe bet however that none of our schools let out before Memorial Day, so your time frame looks good. A lot of the Orlando theme parks offer FL resident discounts in May and Sept because they are the least crowded months of the year. Have fun!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Postal

Orange County public schools finish up on May 23, the Thursday before Memorial Day. I wouldn't worry about them clogging up the park - it seems that everyone at Disney NOW is either from Florida or Georgia!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:40 PM
sonya

We live on the East coast of Florida and our kids get out of school on Friday May 24th right before memorial Day.

I would think you are going at a perfect time of year and will avoid most crowds except maybe on the weekends. Have fun!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:52 PM
yankee

Thank you all for answering. Seems like the crowds won't be too bad. Thanks again