Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara vs. Dana Point

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Carol

We are looking to spend two nights late March within 2-3 hours of LA. There seem to be lovely inns both in Santa Barbara and Dana Point area. Weatherwise, which would be warmer? Is is beach weather yet in late March?
Thanks.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:57 AM
art

Weatherwise, the more south you are, the warmer it will be but there should not be that much difference as they are not that far apart. March is considered to have beach weather. The outside temperature and the ocean temperature will be about the same: 60 degrees or less.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:05 AM
xxx

both places are lovely. however, if you are interested in galleries etc. i'd choose dana point. there is a town next door called laguna beach which is a great place for galleries, restaurants, nice beaches.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:34 AM
xxx

Neither area is going to be warm enough for sunbathing that time of year. Santa Barbara would be my choice for a getaway. Alot more going on as opposed to Dana Point which is more of a surfing town.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Laura

Santa Barbara is nicer in my opinion. Some nice wineries in the area and more upscale restaurants and shopping in Santa Barbara, yet still has the fun of a college town.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 06:55 PM
loangalsal

Stayed at this hotel outside of Santa Barbara in July 2001 and loved it, right on the ocean, a small hotel. Here is the link...

http://www.cliffhouseinn.com/

Not warm enough to really sunbathe, but still nice enough to want to be on the ocean... Have fun!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 02:06 PM
jen

I have lived in both Santa Barbara and Dana Point. Although they are both great places, I would recommend Santa Barbara. It has a great deal of charm, spanish architecture, good food, and cute stores. In fact, I agree with a previous poster about Laguna; I would choose laguna over Dana Point. However, I would still choose Santa Barbara over Laguna. Laguna does have nice beaches, unfortunately, it will not be warm enough on any california beach to sunbath in march. If money is not a concern i would stay at the Biltmore in Santa barbara, but if you are on a tight budget I would stay at the hotel Santa barbara (really cute rooms w/ a great location). I also saw really reasonable prices at the Fess parker double tree in santa barbara for march. have fun!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:16 AM
Robin

Another vote for Santa Barbara. I may be influenced by the fact that I live in Orange County, but Santa Barbara is one of my favorite places in the state. Partly I think it's the geography-- the mountains around SB sort of cut it off from the surrrounding communities, so it feels remote-- more of a getaway. Dana Point, like so much of So Cal just blends into the next town.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
kam

Dana Point in my mind is a large marina with lots of very expensive and very pretty sailboats. Laguna Beach has a lovely beach and art galleries, little restaurants etc. Santa Barbara has more history than the other two, a lovely beach,many charming B&Bs as well as some very good hotels, a downtown area with lots of shopping, a mission, more good restaurants, wineries just out in the Santa Ines valley----in short, I would also choose Santa Barbara. If you like Mexican, don't miss the SuperRica Taqueria in Santa Barbara for lunch. Anywhere along the coast will be good walking the beach weather and if you get a warmer day, a good day for sunbathing. The water will be cold though.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:55 PM
xxx

With only a few days in Santa Barbara, don't waste one of your meals going to eat at a run down hole in the wall Mexican joint. SuperRica Taqueria is ok, but nothing special and has got a lot of mixed press on this site. Just not worth going to a yucky neighborhood on vacation for so-so food in a less than desirable atmosphere.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 06:19 PM
mt

Add my vote for SB. It's a beautiful and fun place to visit. I try to go 1-2 times a year (usually during holiday weekends) or for a mini vacation.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Deb C

Hi Carol.

Both places are divine, but Santa Barbara (imo) is much more charming, and less crowded than Dana Point. In Santa Barbara, I'd recommend Simpson Inn, El Encanto Historic Hotel, (or if $ is no object, the exclusive San Ysidro Ranch , 4 Seasons Biltmore or Bacara Resort & Spa). If you decide to stay in Dana Point, I recommend a wonderful inn called the Blue Lantern Inn which is owned by the exquisite Four Sisters Properties. The weather is so unpredictable, this week Santa Barbara had summery 80 degree weather. In either place, the weather should be nice enough to take beach walks. Have fun!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Alisa

Hi,
My vote is for SB. Try the Secret Garden Inn. Very romantic, with private decks with hot tubs. Great breakfast in the am and wine and cookies at night in the main room.

It is not near the beach but a perfect romantic adventure.