Organ Pipe National Monument Dangers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the talk of people/drugs crossing the Arizona Mexico border, my husband is a bit concerned about camping in Organ Pipe for a couple of days. What do you all think-visit or bypass? We stayed there several years ago and really enjoyed it.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:48 PM
TheWeasel

I'm hoping to camp there a couple of nights in April. From what I've read, the NPS has closed most of the roads that run right along the border for safety/security reasons. I think safety while camping will be relative. The campground would be safer than a backcountry site. The further you are from the border, the safer you should be.

At any rate, I think you have to be pretty sure to lock everything up anytime you're away from your vehicle and/or campsite. I could be naive, but I think the major danger is theft. I would think the drug smugglers would try to avoid contact with anyone to lessen their chances of being caught.

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:34 AM

We were in Organ Pipe NM back in January, and only the one scenic loop drive was open. The other longer scenic drive that has a part that parallels the border was closed. Thus, this limits how much there is to do in the park.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:01 AM
TheWeasel

GJLinda - When are you thinking of going? I'll be there late March/early April. If you're going after that I can let you know what I encountered during my trip.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Hello Weasel(and other posters),

We are going to Arizona next week. Will go to Organ Pipe and check it out. I will post when I return but that will probably be the week of March 20, so perhaps too late for you. I would love to hear your opinions when you return, however.

Thanks for answering.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM

After visiting Saguaro Park east and west of Tucson and other deseert attractions in that area, we felt that Organ Pike NM wasn't worth the detour. However, since you have been to Organ Pike in the past, you may want to relive that experience.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM

We;ve also done Saguaro Park east and west, and were delighted with Organ Pipe Nat'l Park. We spent one afternoon there (didn't camp), driving both loops (both unpaved). It was uniquely interesting as we LEFT the park, with the rangers practically searching our out-of-state mini van. We got more scrutiny that day than any time at London's Heathrow customs. Likely due to the fact it was mid july, about 110, and we had the place to ourselves. Definitely worth it tho, those babies have such character!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM
TheWeasel

" I will post when I return but that will probably be the week of March 20"

GJLinda, are you back yet? Just wondering what your thoughts are on the current conditions.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM

We thought Organ Pipe was great...especially the hike up to the Bull Pasture.

The campsites at Organ Pipe NM are so close together that I can't imagine that any illegal immigrants would dare venture near. They are trying to slip in undetected so they will avoid the entire area. In fact, we didn't like the crowded aspect of the NM campground and went out onto BLM land to camp. There were other folks in RVs scattered down the road doing the same thing and we felt qiute safe.

I have to say that the Border Patrol presence in that area seemed overwhelming...they were everywhere.

Go and camp at Organ Pipe...it is safe and they even make the RVers turn off their generators at 9 PM. The rangers are never far away and you'll have plenty of neighbors very nearby to rely on as well.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM
TheWeasel

Just got back from AZ a couple days ago. I camped two nights in Organ Pipe at the main campground (Twin Peaks) close to the visitor's center. As expected, the campground was pretty safe and I wasn't real worried about safety. The Alamo primitive campground had 4 spaces, and all four were occupied so I would imagine that it was about as safe as the main CG.

On a side note, I just saw the Twin Peaks is going to close starting May 15th for "major construction". No word on how long it will be closed.

The western side of the park (west of Hwy. 85) is basically closed off, other than the campground and the first 5 miles of Puerto Blanco Road. You can hike on some trails, but they all have signs warning of danger from illegal activity in the area. I was by myself, so I didn't bother trying to hike in that area. And, just for more excitement , there was a case of rabies in the park in January, so there were warning signs posted everywhere.